Proud PC/FL Studio Virus owner *ducks*

• Evening all ...

My name is Spencer Steel, im cracking on a bit - coming on 38 - I used to have an old skool dance band, back in '89, with a Korg M1, SH-101, Juno 106 and an old Akia 12 bit sampler - oh yeah, all on Atari ST with Cubase (can't remember what version)

I recently (2 years ago) got back into 'computer music' and have slowly been adding to my kit and just purchased my first Virus. It's moved on a lot obviously and very exciting.

I'm concerned about this forum though - I've read two or three threads and people seem really quick to critise around here ... I've read a thread where someone said 'if you don't know what the LIVE button does on your virus you should sell it." in response to the question 'what does it do?' - well it was me as well - I didn't know what it was ...

The next thing I read is someone helpfully posting about a PC plug that gets around limitations and he just got a load of mouth from Mac users ...

So ... let's get this out the way ... I use FL Studio. On a PC. Which I enjoy a lot. I'm worried this place isn't going to be polite to me ... FL is laughed at, and I gotta feeling so are PC's ...

It's pretty dissapointing to see - my early impressions of this site are ... HOSTILE ! 8|

Maybe I just got unlucky on my first trawl ... ;( I'll keep quiet and stick around ... there's some good information here regardless.

Hope everyone is well - I'll up a little photo of my studio soon ...

S.S.

Win 7 64 bit | FLStudio 9 | 8 gig | Dual monitor | Virus Ti2 Keyboard | Edirol PCR-500 | Genelec 8020a | Lexicon U22 | se2200a microphone | Favourite plugs: Spectrasonics Omnisphere/RMX/Trilian, oZone 4

DAW: FL Studio 9.1
    CPU: Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
    Mobo: Asus PEe
    RAM: 8GB DDR2 @ 800MHz
    Monitor: Dual Sumsung 223bw
    GPU: ATI HD 3870 x2
    Audio: MoTU UltraLite mk3
    Monitoring: Genelec 8020a
    Midi Controller: Edirol PCR-500
    Hard Synths: Virus Ti2 K/B, Tetra4, Mopho K/B
    Fav VSTi's: Omnisphere, Trilian, RMX, Kontakt4
    Microphone: sE2200a

• Welcome SpencerSteel

Glad to have you with Us :thumbup: :thumbup:

Relax on the Whole HOSTILE thing, i guess where all passionate about our Virus LOL....

It is a forum so you will find people with Positive and negative feedback towards a question but thats life mate, but there is heaps of nice people i have chatted on this forum to so dont be to worried if you have a question.

Hope all is well bruv and hope to hear some of your Tunes mate.

Regards

Ray

PS....Fruity loops is great and i use a Pc also, it dosent matter what you use man, as long as it gets the job don and your happy with the producion then its all good.

• Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of Access virus! ;)

1st thing's 1st:
    FLstudio is an amazing software studio capable of 99.9% of the same things as a program like Cubase/Logic. I know this from extensive personal experience from working in all mentioned programs. And I'm not even gonna go into the mac/PC debate... the biggest bunch of BS created and fed by ignorant people.
    So these things should not bother you at all. The FACT is you can make a professional quality track using FLStudio with no extra effort needed compared to other DAW's... as long as you know what you're doing and know the program well.

About the LIVE Button... AFAIK it lowers the latency of the virus plugin as much as possible. I never used it as it's not needed in cubase, but you should check the PDF manual for it's use; I think it's planned use is for Ableton Live, but not 100%. I think it's not needed for use with FLStudio. Your best bet is to open the .flp template in the virus folder and take it from there. Since FL doesn't have real-time delay compensation, you'll need to nudge the mixer channel timings to get them in sync, but this is really not a problem. The biggest problem with FL IMO, and this is why I switched to cubase years ago, is the lack of real-time export. This means when you have to record the virus channels separately and then bounce the rest of the project down. However, this is not a problem for everyone, but for me it was too much hassle.

So feel free to ask away, but for the bare bone basics I suggest searching to forum or the manual first.

DAW: Cubase 7.5 (x86/x64)
    CPU: Intel i7 930 @ 4.0GHz
    MB: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    RAM: 3x 2GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 1GB DDR5
    HDD: Intel 320 120GB SSD, 2x Seagate 320GB (raid0)
    Sound: E-mu 1212M
    Monitoring: Dynaudio BM6A Mk2 + BM9S Sub
    DSP: UAD-2 Duo
    USB: Virus Ti, BCF2000, Novation Remote SL...

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von LfmC ()

• Thanks guys - I feel a bit better now :)

Ray - yeah, I should know better by now - just odd walking into a place for the first time - I reckon I just got unlucky with the threads I picked. The next thread I read from a guy asking for help, who's forum name is "F**K YOU" - charming :)

LfmC - great advice all around - I think you can now bounce to .wav in realtime and it will chuck it back into the playlist for you - haven't done too much with this as most of my stuff has been softsynth - but will report on my findings ... things move on pretty quick in FL world. Oh, I also got my PDC working pretty good - when you know how it's pretty easy. Next release on FL (9.1) has promised Auto-PDC, as a lot of people moan about it - but it really is simple when you know how.

Also - I'm going to steal your signature - what a brilliant layout - i'm trying to encourage the FL forum to re-introduce signatures with hardware specs like this, as it "help us help you" when troubleshooting other people's problems.

My main problem I have with the Virus is that I start one drum groove from Stylus RMX, chuck on a bit of "chaos" for variation, go to to the Virus and 3 hours later I'm still playing the same groove whilst twiddling knobs with acid arp presets. I'm not sure I'll ever get anything done :)

DAW: FL Studio 9.1
    CPU: Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
    Mobo: Asus PEe
    RAM: 8GB DDR2 @ 800MHz
    Monitor: Dual Sumsung 223bw
    GPU: ATI HD 3870 x2
    Audio: MoTU UltraLite mk3
    Monitoring: Genelec 8020a
    Midi Controller: Edirol PCR-500
    Hard Synths: Virus Ti2 K/B, Tetra4, Mopho K/B
    Fav VSTi's: Omnisphere, Trilian, RMX, Kontakt4
    Microphone: sE2200a