Getting sound in Cubase 5

• Well, it is my first synth and I can’t get any sound using Cubase 5 and Novation SL MK2 (as trigger midi controller source). I started hooking midi cable, midi IN (virus) and midi OUT (sl mk2)… what’s next?

I also tried to connect it directly in my sound card with no luck. I suppose that I need very basic information… I read manual, searched access website and I’ve google around but all information I got is regarding Virus TI.

Since I always have being using vst plugins, I’ve never really cared about how a V.A. works/connects… well one needs to start somehow.

My setup: i7, XP 64, C5, m-audio studiophile 2496, novation sl mk 2, virus classic

I appreciate any help.

tks
    :)

• Now I tried this: I connected cable midi OUT (midi controller) in virus midi IN (to capture midi signal from midi controller) and then I connected cable audio output (virus) in audio input (soundcard).

I added an external instrument bus in C5 and routed to my soundcard output. Any clue? still no sound.

• No, i didnt install virus software suite.

I'm afraid I will need some help on that too... considering the Virus Classic doesnt have usb connection.

If there is one, how can I install the software suite via MIDI cable? Not sure about Virus/Control in Virus Classic. I really don't know.

That's what I did so far:

USB controller (SL mk2) to computer USB port.

MIDI out on M-Audio interface to the MIDI in on the Virus Classic.

Audio OUTputs (L+R) on the Virus to the audio INputs on your M-Audio interface (1+2.)

I created a MIDI/audio track in cubase but I’m unable to listen anything.

i'm getting crazy... i can't even test my VA

• That's a hard one, Its as if something hasn't been enabled or properly configured, which could be your sound card, your midi config on the Virus, Novation, and computer, the wrong settings in cubase, or the wrong setting on the Virus.

A few things to check:

Via the Virus menu, have you assigned the outputs on the Virus Classic (for the patch or multi you are using) to output 1 (L&R)?? The outputs might be set to something else, like Outputs 2, or 3, or Surround sound. This is a fairly common oversight. Also check that the Global midi channel for the Virus is set to the same channel in Cubase and the novation. You can also set it to `omni'.

If that's all good, then carefully check your settings in cubase. You said you created an Audio/midi track? There is no such thing- it will be audio OR midi, and each type will require your track to be configured differently. Its very likely that the problem lies somewhere here. Check the input and output routing for your track, and also for the project.

Also, check your overall midi and sound configuration on your computer.....look for things like muted channels, and check that your control panel/the sound card is set up correctly, for midi and audio.

If you want to do just a quick test to check that your Virus classic works, you can audition the sounds directly on the Virus Classic (check the manual to see how, but try pressing down the two buttons above the display together)). Another way to do it would be to plug the Virus outputs into your amp/speakers/monitors , and then plug the midi out of the Novation into the midi Input of the Virus classic. Check that the Virus Classic is set to receive midi on the right channel (or use `omni'). Check that the patch/multi is assigned to the outputs plugged into your amp/speakers. You should be able to play your virus classic this way.

Hope some of this helps. Just be very thorough, and check things sytematically. It might feel frustrating, but you'll learn a lot going through this process.

• I finally got the virus perfectly sounding in C5. After many connecting cables attempts and asking all forums around, the problem was in the Virus in/output midi routing options... I may say that it is not easy to navigate on it and I only could make it sounds on C5 after resetting the Virus. Probably when I bought the virus it came with a weird routing... that’s why I couldn’t figure out.

The connection which works for me:
    Soundcard (E-MU 1616 pci) midi OUT to Virus midi IN. Audio OUT of virus to audio IN soundcard (1616 mixer software - added send to input channel to route asio channel).
    Midi controller (SL MK2) connected via USB
    C5 – midi track: input / all midi inputs and output / soundcard (emu 1616) midi port

Thanks for your help