Direct monitoring and latency - What is the best solution for the latency problem in Ableton Live ?

• Hello,

I already read the part in the new manual:

"Direct monitoring mode
    Direct monitoring can be enabled by clicking on the “D” button in the part bar on the left in Virus Control. This mode switches any part to the analogue outputs and ensures that the sound travels directly from the sound engine to those, bypassing the sequencer. This mode undoubtedly results in the smallest possible latency and feels the most snappy while recording a performance, but there is a mayor disadvantage to it: every note coming from the sequencer on this part will be played back too early by roughly 1/16 note (@120 bpm). Especially when you overdub, it is not advisable to use direct monitoring."

OK, I use an external soundcard (Edirol FA-101), which is connected to an analogue mixer. The analogue out of the Virus is connected to Korg Kaoss Pad III, which is also connected to the mixer!!! The midi clip playing the notes is adjusted to + 80 ms, I mentioned the latency is now compensated. Another way is to switch off the latency compensation of Ableton Live, but then my clavia nord modular is not in sync any more. So what is the problem of the Virus Ti, that latency compensation is not working as it does it for the Nord Modular G2 (also connected to the mixer)? On the other hand, the USB out because of total integration is working without latency of course but not helpful to me when I want to frickel with Korg Kaoss Pad III.

"…mayor disadvantage… (roughly 1/16 note (@120 bpm)" that is not helpful information if you work @ other tempo settings :)

Actually I didn't use direct monitor mode for the snow, I set the output to the analogue output instead of USB-outs! What's the difference? Would be helpful, if there would be a solution, which is reproducible for every Ti-user working with the Virus in a more advanced setup!

• did you read the Manuel which came with latest virus os?
    there is some advise to setup the sequencer softwares
    Btw ,for test:
    use your virus as a sound and put the your sample rate at 128
    and disconnect all usb devices beside your TI...
    check your device manager which virus is using 73% bandwidth...