VIrus editor - any suggestions (other than Soundiver)?

• I have given up on Sounddiver so I'm looking for an editor.

The Rekon Audio editor looks good but frustratingly there's no demo available. Can anyone give any feedback on it before I consider couhing up $50?

• I'm busy developing a Virus editor that'll run standalone or as a VSTi, based on the Ctrlr project. I've just finished the first release of my Novation Supernova II controller, which handles most CCs and lots of critical NRPNs; tonight I got Virus B control working with sysex, so the hard stuff's out of the way. Other controllers are available to download too, if you want to try them with other hardware.

It'll take me a while to map all the matrix combinations, but I'll post on here when it's ready for public beta testing. When the Ctrlr codebase gets full patch librarian capabilities (not 100% there yet), I'll implement that too.

Anyway, as well as easy computer-based patch editing, the other huge advantage is exposing CC parameters to sequencers for automation - stuff like Ableton, for instance, which is colossally shit at all things midi/sysex/external hardware related. (I do use Ableton, by the way, alongside other stuff, so I wrote this mainly as a result of my own bad experiences).

I'd never heard of that Rekon thing until now; it's a bit whack that the feature description is so poor. Obviously if it has patch librarian capabilities, it's a step ahead of mine, but by the time mine is released I may be able to save patch data as a parameter snapshot with the DAW project (or fxp/fxb). Anyway, mine will be FREE, which - according to my rough calculations - is a damn site better than 50 bucks \o/

Edit - I've had a look at the Rekon manual...it seems it doesn't let you select MIDI ports from within the VST, which is fine if you only have one set of MIDI I/O and also have one of the few DAWs they support...but not so good if you use Renoise, Ableton, or various others which do MIDI differently. I've got about six MIDI I/O on various devices, so it's no problem to load my VSTi, assign I/O to, say, a Midisport 2x2, then treat the hardware just like it was a virtual instrument, with audio coming through on a different track.

It's a shame Rekon doesn't seem to be in development any more, because if they fixed that, it'd be a great product and far more people would buy it. You *can* sort of use it with Ableton, I'm told, but naturally it crashes if you accidentally cause a MIDI feedback loop :\

Anyway, my motivation isn't huge, now that I've seen that other products exist (and also now that I have a Virus Snow). None of the buttons work on my Virus B and I wanted to make it useful again...maybe I'll still make the damn editor, just for fun :)

• If you have the time and the passion to do it, keep up the good work. I'm sure many Virus owners will be happy to have their instruments better integrated into their DAWS.