S/PDIF connection how to?!

• Hi everyone,

I have some questions about the S/PDIF connection, as I have never used them before.

I'm thinking about using the S/PDIF instead of Output1 L/R (when I'm not using USB for audio transfer in Ableton Live with VC) which would be connected to my RME Fireface, as I'm running out of analog inputs on my FF ;)

The first question is, does the S/PDIF out (1 cable) carry the L/R signal of only one output? Or as it is digital, can it carry more, say, 3 outputs of the Virus?

Second, do I need to connect a 2nd S/PDIF cable comming from my Fireface, if I'm not running audio into the Virus (for Atomizer or other effects) and when the internal clock is used? Or do I always need to connect a S/PDIF cable from my Fireface to the Virus, when I'm using the digital connection from the Virus to my FF?

Third: Will it sound "better" when I use S/PDIF? I use Vovox Link Direct cables. The Fireface has superior DA/AD converters, but will the switch from analog connection (Virus-->RME) to digital make a difference that a normal person can hear?

Thanks and have a nice weekend,
    Hendrik