TC Powercore DEAD, Access Virus Powercore Runs on the Same DSP as the VIrus TI...isnt any one a bit worried..?

• Hi every one

I just wanted to get every ones opinion about this.

I my self have a TC Powercore Express PSI card MK2 with the Access Virus Multi powercore and it works great...I also have a Virus Ti 2 desktop that works great also...........( and i know allot of people had problems with both)

but dont they both run the on the same DSP Motorola chip set..?

If TC is leaving the the DSP card range is access going to develop a better Virus TI range also..?

I cant speak for Access's Future development about future products but as PC's and Mac's are getting more powerfull would that mean access might bring out a VIrus TI with a more powerfull chip set..? Like a INTEL or AMD

This is from SoundonSound web site "

Under the bonnet, Virus synths are powered by Motorola's 56k family of DSP chips, which is commonly used in pro audio products, including, for example, Digidesign's Pro Tools TDM. This architectural similarity is what allowed Access and Digidesign to announce a software Virus plug-in for Pro Tools 24 Mix systems as long ago as 2000.
    After this, Access released a version of the Virus for TC's Powercore DSP engine platform in 2002. This made sense, because Powercore is also based around Motorola 56k DSP chips.
    Unlike the Pro Tools version, Virus Powercore was (and still is) sold in two versions: a 'base' licence, allowing you to run just one instance of the Virus plug-in on one DSP chip, offering 16 voices, and an 'unlimited' licence that allows you to run multiple instances of the plug-in on as many chips as you have available in your Powercore system."

Dont get me wrong i know Access is a great company and i am so happy with my Virus TI2 :) and i know Access wont be letting go of the TI line soon but i do worry.

• I don't really understand what's the problem. Just like the current TI superseded the earlier models, another product will probably be the top range/flagship in the next few years (I'm personally assuming 2012 but who am I?). Whatever processor(s) they'll decide to use the new model will probably enough have features that are off-limits for the current models. It's always been that way. You haven't bought your synth based on the features it might have supported in the future or hoping Access wouldn't update their range for 10 years, I think :) It will always be the same powerful synthesizer, and should you desire the "next" one you will buy it if you can afford it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm always hoping that the current hardware will receive new features for some more time since I don't see too many limitations in it (actually the thing I find asking myself the most is "how long will the Virus Control for TI1 / TI2 be supported? how many future computer OS will it be compatible with?") but it will come a time when the current models will be replaced.

• Even if access discontinued the ti range and stopped driver development you can still use a TI on any future OS, maybe not via usb but by analog outs and midi- that's the benefits of hardware synth have over dsp/native, you don't have to rely on the manufacturer to write drivers or plugin updates, you can just use it.

Also where TC have gone wrong is they've stopped all the development at once, both hardware and software literally chucking it in the "too hard" box.

Glad I jumped off the poco bandwagon myself, in the nick of time too.

• LOL i completely forgot that you can use the Virus as a Hardware synth ha ha ha ha ha Your so right mate :P

I allways use the virus Via the plug in side of things since its nicely racked in my studio..

Thanks again mate for reminding me why i bought the Virus in the First place LOL