Using HS80M do I need a DI box or Limiter?

• Hello!

I bought two HS80M, I use the Virus TI 2 as soundcard for listening music and when I am using Ableton. I plug the output 1 directly to the speakers. Do I need a DI box or Limiter?
    Any good advice to any product to use?

Thanks for your answer!

Denis

• Hello Denis,

I listen to my Virus through powered monitor speakers too. Not HS80Ms, but the principal has to be the same. You definitely do not need a DI box. DI boxes reduce audio signals to microphone level. This is usually for input to mixers. Powered monitor speakers accept line-level audio, which is what the Virus outputs. There are different levels of 'line-level' though. The Virus is rated at +4dbV, the loudest. So you may need to adjust the level controls on your HS80Ms for best match.

There's no need for a limiter either. Powered monitor speakers can accept a large dynamic range of volumes. You should only limit the music if it sounds like the music has too wide a range of volumes. That would not be caused by routing the audio through the Virus to the HS80Ms. If you do want a limiter, Ableton probably comes with a software limiter. If not, you could use a VST limiter with it. So you would not need a hardware limiter, though some people prefer them.

Simon

Virus TI2 Polar | TIOS 4.5.3.00 | Cubase Pro 9.5 | Windows 10 Professional

• DI boxes convert single ended (unbalanced) signals into fully differential (balanced) signals for better noise performance and to handle grounding problems (especially with ground lift).

The Virus already has balanced outputs so if you used balanced jack leads you will get what you need - though for most monitor speakers a single ended signal should be absolutely fine.