Never ending problems with virus not sounding via USB

• Hi,

this is an ongoing issue with the virus TI plugged to a windows XP computer (service pack 3, intel core quad, 3.24 GB of RAM, 2.74 GHz) running cubase 5 via USB. Often nearly all the time now the virus does not sound when loading up a project. I have downloaded and installed version 4.5.1.15 and go through the procedure of unplugging all the cables, including the power socket, waiting, plugging them in again, one at a time in the recommended order, rebooting using the EDIT button, and it is ridiculous that i have to do this a number of times EVERY time i load up a project before i can get the virus to sound. The buffer size has been adapted as per the new recommended instructions- but the problem still persists. i have also tried switching USB sockets which resolves the problem for a little while, and then sooner these days rather than later it happens again, and again, and again.

Frankly i am getting sick of it.

Is this normal or just a freak arrangement with this computer? what can be done to stop this, other than selling the thing and not bothering with it again?

thanks in advance for your response

T

• I have downloaded and installed version 4.5.1.15 and go through the procedure of unplugging all the cables, including the power socket, waiting, plugging them in again, one at a time in the recommended order, rebooting using the EDIT button, and it is ridiculous that i have to do this a number of times EVERY time i load up a project before i can get the virus to sound.

resetting frequently is unnecessary and will not help a thing. all you do, and that's probably what's helping in the end, is to hot plug the virus again and give the bus another chance to recognize it. this can be down to a variety of reasons including power problems, hub problems among many others and therefore there is not a easy one button cure. please note that we test our stuff a lot (even though it doesn't look like this all the time ;) and if we would have those problems frequently either the QA department would resort to pottery after a while or start killing developers. please don't get me wrong, access support will do everything to help you but you should contact them directly instead of using this board and we need much more info to assist you solving the problem.
    best, marc

• When you encounter this problem, do you still have use of the virus as a midi controller in your host? ie: are you getting a definite confirmation one way or another that you are not just losing sound but losing the entire USB connection?
    The virus doesn't seem to like breaking its connection when in a project. If I ever unplug the usb when a project is loaded it won't work after plugging it back in unless I restart my host.
    If you're losing your USB connection it could be a bad cable or problem with your usb ports. You could try a dedicated USB card.
    By the way, Marc, if you see this and are replying.. am I correct in that if the Virus loses connection with a project running the only way to get it back is to restart the host? It's what I've always had to do so figured as such, but if there's a trick I'd love to know!

• By the way, Marc, if you see this and are replying.. am I correct in that if the Virus loses connection with a project running the only way to get it back is to restart the host? It's what I've always had to do so figured as such, but if there's a trick I'd love to know!

thanks for pointing this out. the behavior depends on the host and operating system. to my knowledge cubase/windows for instance cannot load a midi driver after the application has been launched. consequently, disconnecting and reconnecting will not work because the midi driver will not work (again). in logic/mac for instance you can disconnect the virus and everything will be back to normal once you reconnect and wait for a couple of seconds.
    best, marc