Looking to get a TI2 61-key

• I've been looking into getting a serious synth setup. (Currently just have a Korg R3) Just have a few questions...

I am in an Experimental/Electronic Rock band, and I really need a synth that is at the top of the line when it comes to creativity. I've seen this Synth do trance, which is great, but not really what we try to write. So is it versatile? From everything I've read it sure sounds like it, but all videos online are Trance/Rave stuff.

I would go to a dealer and play one, but I'm currently located in an area without more than a "Mom & Pop" music store within 3-4 hours (Mountains of North Carolina, Bluegrass reigns supreme). So if I hear the right things, I'm all but certain I will be purchasing one.

My second question is what software should I buy? Logic? I'm still fairly new to synths, but have been performing live on piano since I was 12 (18 now) and really want to make the jump to modern technology.

Thanks
    jda

• I think if you bought the Virus you would be extremely happy with it, it's hugely versatile & much, much more than just a trance or hardstyle synth. It's a real powerhouse & will easily fit into your genres of music, you will also be able to feed other audio sources into it & process them through the Virus fx. It has a vocoder & the atomizer will mangle your drum tracks up nicely, that is only if you wanted them mangled nicely of course ;)

As for which DAW to buy, that's your personal choice. I'm a bit biased so I'm naturally going to recommend Logic over the others, you could maybe start off with Logic Express, which will give you full functionality at a reduced price. You will only be missing a few plug-ins & maybe your loop library will be a bit smaller. If you do start off with Express then down the line decide that you would like to get the full Logic Studio package, you can upgrade at a special rate which works out that you won't pay any extra than if you bought Logic Studio in the first place.

Logic can be a bit overwhelming when you first look at it, so to get you started off on the right foot I would highly recommend you get this book at the same time. It will benefit you no end, there's also a more advanced book available once you are ready for it.

Good luck with whatever you decide

HTH

• Thanks so much for the info! The TI2 seems like the one for me!

You're welcome!

When you do get it if you have any set-up issues you can ask for help here or if you did need to contact support you will normally get a reply from them quickly. I'm only saying that because a lot of us have had some sort of teething problem when we first got our Viruses (Virii ?), often it relates to which USB port is being used by the Virus & how many other USB devices are connected on that hub. As long as you are aware of that upfront then you are also aware that these things can be sorted out too.

You could be one of the lucky ones that plugs it in & hits the ground running, that happens too so don't be put off by what I've said in the paragraph above. Forewarned is forearmed or something like that…