how to calculate plugin delay?

• I have decided to give the TI plugin another go, it seems to be working better now. I know that when using the plugin + analog outputs the midi is played early. How can the value of this be calculated? I have offset it by my interface's roundtrip latency but it still sounds off...

thanks

• Just do it by ear....its usually between 10-50 miliseconds
    start with 10, then 20, 30, and then add or substract 5....then 2....etc

I would much rather have an exact value than to have to guess.. I recall Marc talking about that in here before, but I can't find his post at the moment.

• It would be much easier to just disable delay compensation for the Virus from your DAW's configuration menus.
    But if you still insist, start a new project, bring in the VC/VSTi, select a sound with fast attack (init patch works for this), create a MIDI track that sends a single short note to the Virus, and bounce it to an audio track. Now you can measure, using the time/bar grid, the time difference between the MIDI note and the bounced audio.
    Please note that this value changes when you go in and out of LIVE mode, and when you change between 44.1 and 48kHz, so you might want to get the values for all possible combinations in one go.

• It would be much easier to just disable delay compensation for the Virus from your DAW's configuration menus.
    But if you still insist, start a new project, bring in the VC/VSTi, select a sound with fast attack (init patch works for this), create a MIDI track that sends a single short note to the Virus, and bounce it to an audio track. Now you can measure, using the time/bar grid, the time difference between the MIDI note and the bounced audio.
    Please note that this value changes when you go in and out of LIVE mode, and when you change between 44.1 and 48kHz, so you might want to get the values for all possible combinations in one go.

I suppose I could do that, I'm sure that Access knows the exact value though, and it's some formula based upon buffer size, sample rate,etc.. they're probably off this week, maybe I'll try to ask again next year.

thanks

• In addition to buffer size and sample rate, USB hubs also add to the latency.

Right, so what I'm fearing is that it may be random. I can't disable plugin compensation because that would break my UAD stuff.. I do everything live as much as possible. Surely there must be a way to come up with a consistent value..

• Try Reaper, it shows plugin's delay in samples.
    Not sure if the value Reaper gives you is the same for your DAW, but may be worth a shot (it's a free download anyway).
    Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help, but I have given up again on the plug-in. It worked just fine when just the TI was running and maybe a simple drum pattern. Then as I started to add tracks and other plugins, I would get lots of pitch anomalies with simple pad parts, and 8 out of 10 times the ARP sync was off every time I hit play.

I'm running a 1st gen mac pro and have isolated the "magic" usb port that's not shared by other devices, logic pro is set up according to the guide.

I am back to audio and midi. It would be nice if I could use the plugin strictly as a librarian and editor and not be forced to pipe audio through USB.

• Rob.. why don't you just use the usb audio?

As per lining up the analog audio outs that's no different than any other hardware synth. You adjust the track delay for the channel playing the midi file until it's lined up. I do this with an init patch playing 8th notes while recording a quick take to check and fine tuning the track delay until the notes are dead on with the grid. Doesn't take long. Keep in mind that you may have to readjust if you add latency inducing plugins in particular places in your project.

• Rob.. why don't you just use the usb audio?

As per lining up the analog audio outs that's no different than any other hardware synth. You adjust the track delay for the channel playing the midi file until it's lined up. I do this with an init patch playing 8th notes while recording a quick take to check and fine tuning the track delay until the notes are dead on with the grid. Doesn't take long. Keep in mind that you may have to readjust if you add latency inducing plugins in particular places in your project.

If the USB audio worked reliably I would use it, but my initial request to calculate the delay was based on wanting to have more than just 3 stereo channels available, I wanted to use 3 usb + the 3 analog outs.. and I wanted to compensate for the delay using a reliable method besides guesswork with recording 8th notes and such.

But that's all out the window because the TI can't seem to stream without the pitch breaking up and arp sync doesn't work in a reliable way either.

A lot of people seem to have this problem, I would really like to use the plugin for convenience, but it's a choice between fighting the system and making music with it.

• If the USB audio worked reliably I would use it, but my initial request to calculate the delay was based on wanting to have more than just 3 stereo channels available, I wanted to use 3 usb + the 3 analog outs.. and I wanted to compensate for the delay using a reliable method besides guesswork with recording 8th notes and such.

But that's all out the window because the TI can't seem to stream without the pitch breaking up and arp sync doesn't work in a reliable way either.

A lot of people seem to have this problem, I would really like to use the plugin for convenience, but it's a choice between fighting the system and making music with it.

I to remember getting all excited when i figured out that it might be possible to have 6 stereo audio outputs coming from the magnificent virus Ti.......I wanted to use 3 usb + the 3 analog outs..........If only..... sigh!!!!!.....but with all out of sync random delays plus pops and crackle clitches even after the last update i don't bother with it that much now as its put me off the whole music making thing as i really got my hopes up with this thing......

Its a great idea but i think access should come clean with this now and let everybody know that this is never going to work on usb 1.1 as in smoothly in everyday situations!!!

And yes i have followed the setup guide to the letter and made sure the Ti has its own unshared usb on a solid system and nothing will get it working as advertised...

just my 2c

• Its a great idea but i think access should come clean with this now and let everybody know that this is never going to work on usb 1.1 as in smoothly in everyday situations!!!

And yes i have followed the setup guide to the letter and made sure the Ti has its own unshared usb on a solid system and nothing will get it working as advertised...

just my 2c

The new Mac OS has caused issues for a fair amount of software I've noticed. I couldn't be happier with Windows 7 and my Virus works like a charm with the new TiOS.. so it's not an "everybody" situation but rather system and OS dependent.