Any tips on getting Virus Control to work with Ableton Live?

• I used to able to get the VSTi working with Albleton Live, but for some reason it stopped working. I've un-installed both the Virus software and Ableton and re-installed them, tried installing the Virus Software first and then Live, tried installing Live first and then the Virus software, all to no avail. I even scrubbed the registry of everything Virus related I could find and re-installed and it just won't work. I can get the Virus Control Center to work, but I have to do a hold the Exit button down and reboot even for that to work.

Any ideas? I know this might be an Ableton issue, but I'm posting over there as well.

• Thanks for your interest. Whenever I try to add a Virus track, the plugin comes up but will not connect to the Virus even after the unplug-everything-turn-off-for-30-seconds-hold-ARP-edit-key-down-while-rebooting-plug-in-usb-cable-wait-20-seconds ritual (which I can now do in my sleep). I installed/un-installed PHP, MySQL, and Apache 2.2 (and probably other programs and drivers) in between the time it worked and the time it didn't. I spent most of a day on these rites. I have re-installed Windoze (Home Premium) for the third time and am taking a break from what seems like guaranteed frustration for a day or two. At this point, I'm ready to join the ranks of those who swear by notusing the VSTi, which appears to be the majority, though that could just be because those for whom it works aren't as vocal. I'm leaning heavily towards getting an external MIDI/audio interface. I don't like the idea of having to turn off the audio portion of VC for recording and only recording MIDI, then tuning USB back on and recording the audio. That just seems so lame.

• This sounds like ye olde USB load issue. The way to defeat it is to make a list of what goes where, and you can find that info in the device manager of the control panel. Once you bring it up, choose "view>Devices by connection" and click your way down to the USB busses (usually down the road from the PCI bus). You should make a list of what you find under each host controller (also try to identify each controller uniquely), and right-click for any additional properties such as USB protocol type.
    The goal is to find a port where the USB bus is not shared with another USB1.x or another bandwidth hogging device (storage, networking etc.).

• Yeah, I did that, and all three ports share the same bus. I'm pretty much resigned to dumping VC for an external audio/MIDI interface if and when I ever get an income. Thanks for your help!

• With the rampant problems encountered with Virus Control, wouldn't it be in Access' interest to provide a solution? Is that even possible? Is it totally a USB hub problem? In all honesty, I didn't even know about Virus Control when I bought myTI2 keyboard and was planning on getting an external audio/MIDI interface. When I found out about it, I was elated not to have to spend a couple hundred bucks on more equipment (already regretting having to retire my ancient MOTU 828 Firewire interface because my 14GB RAM i7 processor notebook doesn't have a F/W port). I'm contemplating reviving my old MacBook Pro so I can use my 828 (dead battery, needs more RAM) and my MOTU MIDI/USB interface.

I suppose it's solely a bus problem on the computer side, but it is suspicious to me that there is such bad latency when using VC for audio. Maybe it's just an unfortunate side-effect of computer makers putting all the USB ports on the same bus in which case maybe Access' hands are tied.

It has also occurred to me that even with an external USB interface, all of that data is going down the same pipe to the evil USB hub, so would that even help?

• It has also occurred to me that even with an external USB interface, all of that data is going down the same pipe to the evil USB hub, so would that even help?

If the problem is caused by other bandwidth hungry devices (storage, networking, video) then that won't help. If the problem is caused by the USB1.x to USB2 translation then this might be the answer.