Could someone please explain how to get this effect? (sample inside!)

• This sound is made up of two parts:

• Descending filter sweep of white noise (can be band pass or hi/lo-pass with lots of resonance).
    • A high pitched scream.

You can replicate this by creating 2 different patches and playing them in sequence, which what I sometimes do (when I stumble upon a limitation of the Virus, for example). After you reduce the volume of the oscillators to 0 and increase the volume of the noise, the filter sweep is created by modulating the cutoff point using one of various sources such as a sawtooth shaped ENV LFO, or the decay of the filter envelope.

The high pitched scream is created by a high pitched tone put through a distortion effect. Try different oscillator shapes and distortion flavors until you are satisfied. But what happens if you insist on having those two parts as one patch?

Well, you have many options. You can use the sawtooth shaped ENV LFO, to make the filter cutoff frequency skip back up again, by shifting its phase, thus sending a little bit of the start of the sawtooth, to the end of the single shot cycle. Or, you can use the filter envelope the same way, but this time use the attack slope for the filter sweep, set the decay to 0, and use the sustain level to control the hight of the pitch of the scream (in this case the cutoff is controlled by a negative amount). Well, currently it's just a hiss, but put through a distorthion effect, it will become a scream. You should check to see if you can leave the distortion on the whole while. If it messes with your sweep, then you can use a square ENV LFO to turn it on (distortion amount from 0 to whatever) just in time for the scream. Come to think of it, you can also route this LFO to bring in some oscillator sound you made beforehand to use for the scream, you might even use it to mute the noise if you don't like what it does to the scream.

There are many options, so try them one at a time. Hope I helped you more then I confused you ;-).

• thank you for replying! Really appreciate it.
    You confused me a bit actually....sorry! :)
    I hope i am not bothering you but could you please try to recreate the sound/effect andshow me some screenshots or maybe the TI patch so I can try this too?
    That would be awsome.
    Thank you again.

• Well, it seems easier that I thought:
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg498/flabberbob/sweepscream01.jpg]

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg498/flabberbob/sweepscream02.jpg
    Please note that the secret is in the shape of the filter envelope, which rises and then jumps to a constant level, and the fact that it contributes a negative value. I also included a little bonus - the key follower will produce a different pitch on every key.
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg498/flabberbob/sweepscream03.png
    Different distortions will give you different screams.
    Good luck!