Virus TI automation in Ableton Live 8

• This question has been probably asked a million times but I don't get it. Can someone tell me how to get automation in the arrangement of Ableton Live 8 in combination with Access Virus TI2? I have setup the Virus with 16 midi input and 3 audio output channels.

When in clip mode, all the knobs of the Virus works, but when I switch to arrangement mode all the knob movement of the Virus TI2 aren't recognised. Can someone help me, step by step, how to setup automation so I can arrange my song with all the knobs I adjust?

Kind Regards,

Stildo

• Go to the arrange view.

Expand the MIDI track with the VC plugin so you can see the automation lane.

Turn the knob you want to automate, either in VC or on the Virus.

It should then appear as the active selection in the drop down menu where you select which parameter you want to automate.

Click the '+' sign to create a dedicated automation lane for that parameter.

Repeat for as many parameters as you need to automate.

• Next issue I have is when I record in arrangement all midi tracks are recorded as audio into audio output channel tracks of the TI. Any idea how to go about this? Maybe I should post a new thread.

• Well you can only record audio onto an audio track so no surprises there.

If you want to record the MIDI that you're playing, hit the record arm switch on the MIDI channel that you want to record.

Just make sure the record arm button isn't on for any audio tracks that are receiving audio from the Virus.

• Hit the 'In' button in the 'Monitor' section on the MIDI track with VC on it.

• I will keep stalking you.. :)

I'm trying to automate a filter cutoff from a track but when I turn the knob the parameter of it, the 'part' section grays out in the VC automation lane and I am unable to automate it. Any clue?