Key follow, portamento doesn't seem to work.

• Hi, need a bit more advice. When using the virus in monophonic mode, adding portamento and setting the key follow on the filter, the notes glide nicely but the filter doesn't. It just jumps straight from one note to the next. I've tried all of the different mono modes, none of them work. Am i missing something?

• Maybe this issue is related with the Filter Envelope triggering each time you press a new note. So set the Filter Envelope amount to zero and check if that helps you. Then, there may be a LFO controlling some parameter of the Filters and also re triggering for each note you play... make sure to set the LFO to Mono mode and see if that also helps you.

• I would also check this issue with a different MONO mode on the COMMON page of the plugin. "MarPabl" is right on all he mentioned, so this is related to the way the sound is set up which MONO mode is selected for the sound.

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

• Jörg, please try the following sound:

• Start from the init patch
    • set oscillator volume to 0
    • set noise volume to 90
    • set both filters to BP (keep them fully linked)
    • set resonance to 110 for both filters
    • make sure the env amount is 0 for both filters
    • set key follower to +63 for both filters

When you play this patch, it doesn't matter how you set portamento, and mono - notes do not glide, but they do respond to the pitch bender! So, @Virtual this may be your workaround - bend the pitch where you want it to glide. It's not a mistake to decide that portamento is only for oscillators, but an ability to choose whether it influences key following or not, would be nice.

• Yes, i have tried every mono mode and it makes no difference. I started with a init patch, put it on mono mode, put portamento to full. Set filter balance all the way to filter 1, checked that there are no envelopes, lfo's etc assigned to it. Put key follow on full. Absolutely no portamento on the filter. The musical notes are gliding, but the filters aren't. Not exactly the sound i'm after.

Bob - thanks for the info. I've already tried pitch bend and see that it works. Problem is that i use a lot of bass patches and use glide fairly reqularly. So this method is a bit tiresome, as i'll need to manually draw in the pitch bends on cubase rather than just playing the notes i want to. Thanks anyhow.

Jörg - unless i'm doing something wrong, it would appear that this feature doesn't work. Having key following filters is a fairly common and useful feature, i for one would appreciate it if you could get it working in a future update. Cheers.

• Flabberbob: "noise" is not a pitch source - you are trying to create portamento with filter resonance, which doesn't work. Portamento affects Oscillators NOT filters !
    The patch you built cannot work in this way. Again Portamento affects oscillators, not filter!

Virtual: send me this patch to support [at] access-music.de if possible.

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

• Jörg - there's not much point in sending a patch, i think you've answered the original post. Portamento does not work with filters, only with oscillators, which was the problem.

If i have a patch with a lot of filter resonance, and play some notes, the result is less than pleasing. The notes will glide, but there is a noticeable click where the filter suddenly changes note. As FlabberBob said, i can use the pitch bend as a workaround, but this is less than ideal. I like to experiment with the filter saturation modes and resonance, and am surprised this feature isn't implemented.

• I just thought of an elegant way to enable this! Just add two more routing sources to the modulation matrix: 1 - Key follower with portamento (to get the portamento glide added to the key follower value, the same way the pitch bender is added to it), and 2 - Key follower without pitch bender (to get just the MIDI note number as value for control, ignoring the pitch bender the same way the portamento is ignored).
    I really hope someone from Access reads and takes this post into consideration. I find this suggested feature more helpful than varislope or whatever filters which I can add as FX chain in my DAW anyway. On the other hand, I don't think it is too complicated to code, so here's hoping it finds its way to a coming release...