Virus Midi Out not functioning properly

• I just got a great deal on a virus! Everything sounds as it should. I tried using the Pitch, and Modulation sliders, and I got no response from them. After doing some thorough research, I think somewhere that the strip connected from the Pitchbend and Modulation usually comes undone from motherboard, when being moved or transported. I popped the virus open, and sure enough, it was not attach. Really simple. I attached it, and was ready to go. Both PB and Mod were now working. When I closed the board back up, I noticed that my Midi Out was not working... The physical midi out, I knew this beacause I looked at my Midisport, I saw the input flash, but nothing on the output. I then undid the strip again from the Pitchbend and Mod section from within, closed it back, and sure enough, the midi out is working again LOL. I am very confused as to how those two even interact like that. So I attached the strip again (i think there is a better word for "strip") and left midi as is, I started using the USB, but I can't get sound out of the Virus, because I don't want to use the Virus soundcard, just midi on soft synths, and midi on the virus itself. Does the board think it's a desk top model??? maybe a plausible answer. pls help