Virus TI Keyboard and sending MIDI

• Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum.

This is a really (at least I believe it to be) very specific question I have. I do not have the TI keyboard version yet.

Here's the simple question: Can I just send Note on/off data from Virus TI KB to external synth ALWAYS in channel one, while in multi-mode, and not activate Virus (i.e., use it as a controller, but still have the synth active for sequencing)?

Below is a more complicated version of the question:

I would like to have my setup like this:

Virus TI MIDI out to Spectralis MIDI in.
    Spectralis MIDI out to Virus TI MIDI in.

The virus would act as the master MIDI controller, sending note on/off to the spectralis.

I am wondering if the keyboard will always send a note on/off signal to the Spectralis if it's global MIDI channel is set to 1.

I would also want local off, which should make the virus not make sound.

The problem I'm having is that I have the Korg Radias, and despite it being set to Global channel 1 and Local control off, it ONLY sends MIDI notes on/off to the spectralis when the timbre I'm on is set to channel 1.

So if I get a virus TI keyboard, I'm worried I'd run into the same problem, that if I'm in multi-mode I won't be able to just send note on/off MIDI to the spectralis, and have the spectralis control the TI that way...

Any thoughts? It's kind of an odd question, and hard to articulate, sorry!

Thank you!

[EDIT]: Would setting 'Local' -off, 'Mode' -Multi Channel (pages 155 and 156 in manual) accomplish this?
    :wacko:

• Do you mean you want the Virus to first send pure MIDI to be processed by Spectralis, then sent back to the Virus to be played by the synth engine? If so, I think you should check the "remote" functionality. Also, you should be very careful with the MIDI loop you are about to create, and check that features such as "soft through" are not enabled.

• Thanks flabberbob,

I think simply put, I want the keyboard to bypass the synth engine completely and go to the spectralis. I would like to still be able to alter the Virus synth engine from the knobs on the front panel of the virus.

My understanding of remote mode is that you don't manipulate the virus at all, just send sysex data to your sequencer based on mappings that are pre-defined, which wasn't entirely what I wanted. If you can completely control the Virus using remote mode (i.e. tweek knobs in multi or single mode) than yes, that would sound like it could work.

I only want to transmit note on/off and mod wheel/pitch as well as control the virus via its front panel. :pinch: