Numan Patches

• Hi

Does anyone have any good numan patches. I do four of his songs in my set and although I'm happy with the sounds, I would like to nail the intro to cars.

Can anybody help please?

I did post a similar request six months ago for the Are Friends Electric patch which was met with some pretty smart arse comment, with one user saying "I have loads of Numan patches but I'm not prepared to share them yet". What a dick. This is supposed to be a community of help.

So please only post if you can help.

• I feel you pain :thumbup: however, i see 2 sides to every story... if i spent hours and hours programming some patches to simply "give away" i would feel a bit begrudged to be honest, but yes, i like to share, and would love some numan patches too... i work 9-5 and dont have as much time as i would like programming so... it would be "nice" for someone to give me them, but also i wouldnt blame them for not wanting to either... so i would gladly buy them and pay for their time they have spent.

In the meantime... i live in hope 8)

Check out a guy called Matt Jessup on Youtube he did some patches for the actual Mr Numans Virus for his Telekon Tour. :thumbup:

• I think you people give up to quickly. The synth sounds of the late 70's and early 80's were made with synths that were much simpler than the virus, although they sometimes were processed and affected further down the line. Here are two examples both starting from the init patch:
    (1) Gary Numan's "Cars", "wawawawawawawawawawawawaw" intro sound:
    Increase OSC2 detune to ~70
    Reduce linked filter cutoff to ~70
    Reduce filter2 relative cutoff to ~-3 to increase the width of the resonance
    Increase linked resonance to between 20 and 25
    Medium attack and release might be helpful.
    Set LFO2 shape to triangle and rate to ~110
    Use LFO2 prerouting to modulate cutoff1+2 by ~-50%
    See? just a few steps and you've got the basic sound. Further processing can be:
    A very very short and relatively quiet delay, just for presence.
    Lo EQ reduction to kill unwanted bass frequencies, the same way some hi EQ boost may help.
    I've got the best results by playing two notes, an octave apart, so you may consider setting LFO2 to mono (or adding a -12 semotines saw OSC3 if you play with one finger only).
    (2) Ultravox lead:
    This is what is known as a sync lead, so enable oscillator sync.
    Set OSC2 to be square and set the mix so it is the only one used.
    Set filter linked cutoff to ~85
    Set LFO1 and 2 to rates around 20 but not the same number so we get all combinations of values.
    Make one LFO control OSC2 pitch and the other one control OSC2 pulse width (unfortunately LFO1 is prewired for both so you must use the assign slot for LFO2)
    Set modulation amounts and OSC2 detune to taste.
    For better control over the sound I suggest using monophonic mode 2, and a little portamento. Use mod-wheel vibrato and the pitch bend with it!
    Also get rid of the punch completely.
    Further processing:
    Lo EQ reduction again.
    Long delay with a some feedback for epicness.

Make sure you tweak around the suggested values to suit your taste. Hope it helped.