Virus all of a sudden stopped working - crackle in all parts

• Everything was working fine when suddenly, upon abnormal exit/reboot, the Virus stopped working.

Now, all parts are crackling, there is no sound anywhere. The keyboard produces the sounds fine.

Nothing changed in my soundcard settings or DAW settings. As before, Buffer Size = 512, this was working great. I tried holding Arp Edit and re-plugging in the Virus, as well as rebooting the system entirely, and it's still happening! Any ideas?

• It could be that the abnormal exit damaged some of your drivers/settings so I'd suggest re-installing drivers (look online of the newest stable ones if possible) for USB, CPU, other motherboard features, re-installing Virus drivers, re-installing DAW, and looking in your power saving settings to make sure no power saving scheme is employed.

• Re-Installed Virus 4.5.3 OS 64-bit Win7 installer - didn't help at all

re-installed my soundcard M-Audio Delta 2496 drivers - also didn't help at all, severe crackling again

I'm using the same USB port, which was working great before. Same soundcard setting M-Audio ASIO BufferSize = 512, but now I'm getting 1100 - 2000 underruns.

Under Power Settings, USB Selective Suspend = Disabled, as it should be.

To be honest I don't remember how I got rid of the crackles a few weeks ago when I was doing my initial setup, they just kinda went away. IIRC, crackling has to do with USB bandwidth? But I haven't changed/modified any USB devices, everything is exactly the same.

What do I need to do? Please help, this is very urgent.

EDIT: Also, I've just installed Intel Chipset: Dell Studio XPS 8000 Motherboard X231R from Dell's site. No change either. Same thing.

If it's any help, the Tutorial project is 50-60% distorted, and my own more advanced project based off the Tutorial (but with more sounds/samples) is 100% distorted. Also, when playing any note on the keyboard in Local mode, the sound is completely distorted. I've uploaded samples with what it sounds like in the other thread.

• Selecting 'Virus ASIO' has always resulted in completely muted output

Are you sure? When the Virus is your soundcard, the sound doesn't come out of your previous soundcard anymore - it comes out of the Virus, so either listen through the heaphones out or connect out1 L+R of the Virus to monitors, mixer etc. If the Virus itself is silent, it could be that you should increase the "input thru" and sensitiviy parameters in the LCD config edit menu.
    Testing to see what the Virus behaves like as a soundcard can help to tell if your soundcard or the Virus are to blame for the crackles.

• Several new data points:

1) Virus TI plays fine out of the headphones (directly); there is NO crackling with Virus-ASIO and headphones.

2) I also verified that exactly the same full distortion is happening in Ableton, the symptoms are the same between Ableton and FL Studio, meaning it's not DAW-specific.

3) There can't be any USB-Bandwidth problems. I removed all USB devices, and right now the Virus TI is the only device on this hub:

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i45.tinypic.com/rtf8n7.jpg]

• PROBLEM SOLVED

One of the FX VSTs used in my project (Izotope Trash) had to have the following settings switched on:
    "Use Fixed Size Buffers" (under 'Processing')

Once this was turned on on the FX VST, the Virus started playing again, too. I only found out about this because the FX plugin was giving me the same kind of noise, so I googled on the web and found this:

The Fruity Loops window housing the plug-in interface should offer two menu buttons in the upper-left corner, and the lower of the two buttons should have an option to "Use fixed size buffers." Please try enabling this option.

After I tried it, the plugin started working, but the Virus started working as well. No idea why the Virus wasn't working at all, even in an empty project without this FX, though!

Thanks for the help in this thread.