less sound quality & system crashes using virus ti 2 as soundcard

• hey, i recently purchased a virus ti2 full 61keys keyboard edition, using it on cubase i have tested two different sample settings, one 256 which has a noticeable latency, and if i switch to 128 samples i hear noises/cracks, both settings share the same property which is the sound comes out less alive less quality than it sounds if i use the virus as standalone, any suggestions?

• The 256/128 samples value has nothing to do with quality or sample rate. It is simply a buffer, in the same sense of a media player buffering an Internet stream. The difference in latency between the two settings is negligible, and if you feel there is a latency when playing the keyboard, it is usually because you are not using the plugin in "live" mode. Smaller buffers are known to result in crackle in both the Virus and the Internet stream's case.

• your comment concludes with the statement that thats something normal and just deal with it or atleast that is how i interpreted it, what could be the cause for the less quality sound and crackling if i use the virus ti as a soundcard, if the virus is described as a fully integrated device i guess that its internal soundcard should be atleast compatible with the rest of the device requirements, any suggestions how to configure everything correctly or what could be the cause ? thanks alot

• A 256 sample ASIO or Core Audio buffer is considered within the professional use range, so if it doesn't produce crackle, then stay with it. If it still produces crackle at 256, try 512 and/or try to streamline the Virus USB for bandwidth (more on that later). If the problem is latency, most DAW-s compensate for that, so you should check your DAW configuration. There are many types of latencies possible so you should be accurate when describing what is it you do that comes out late. As I said before, live playing latency has a special mode for it in VC. Regarding sound dullness, the Virus is a digital synth and unless actively processed by some kind of an effect, digital audio does not change when it is transmitted to your computer via USB. It is best to compare the signal chain between when you play standalone and with your computer (e.g. monitors vs. headphones).
    Streamlining USB: the Virus is a USB1.1 device and as such, in certain situations single-TT USB chipsets (in other words, the cheaper ones) will have a hard time squeezing the bandwidth out of it. You should try to connect the Virus through different USB ports to see which ones are best, and then check one by one, on which of the other ports other USB HW has smallest effect on the Virus performance.
    Hope this helps.

• lets put the latency thing aside, what could be the explanation for that while playing the virus as a standalone i get that extremely quality sound iv got used to, and while using the virus ti integrated to the pc as a soundcard the sound is very low quality ? its as if something is wrong with the VC because while switching to controling the other vsti's i have the sound is perfect, but when switching to the vc the sound quality is unbareable

• Regarding sound dullness, the Virus is a digital synth and unless actively processed by some kind of an effect, digital audio does not change when it is transmitted to your computer via USB. It is best to compare the signal chain between when you play standalone and with your computer (e.g. monitors vs. headphones).

So when you are doing a comparison make sure you are using the exact same hardware and there are no effects/EQ applied. Another possible reason is that the Virus sound is the same quality only quieter (the DAW saves headroom for mixing with other tracks), but quieter can sometimes be perceived as duller so make sure the levels are the same.

• lets put the latency thing aside, what could be the explanation for that while playing the virus as a standalone i get that extremely quality sound iv got used to, and while using the virus ti integrated to the pc as a soundcard the sound is very low quality ? its as if something is wrong with the VC because while switching to controling the other vsti's i have the sound is perfect, but when switching to the vc the sound quality is unbareable

are you in touch with access support? as you say "unbearable" i'd assume that something is simply wrong with your setup.
    best, marc

• got rid of the crackles, probably was a fault with the intel extensible usb 3.0 driver, on intel website it says the driver is both 32&64 versions but for some reason every time i tried it installed the 86version to the 86x program files dir so i manipulated the setup replaced the content of the 86x setup files with the 64 ones and no crackles but for some reason even now when connected to one branch of the usb ports the virus still appears with a yellow triangle on it on the device manager and is unusable, even now when this has been solved i tried my luck and thought all issues where over, ran windows driver verifier and computer crashed again when starting cubase pointing to the virususb file, thoughts are that i might have to do the same with the virus ti installation as i did with the usb driver, if i dont hear any opinions soon i might doing it risking in ruinin everything again but might be worth it, im still left with the crashes and low quality VC audio.