Clicks and pops

• Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, but I've had my Virus TI Desktop for quite a few years now. My SATA Boot Disk recently crashed, forcing me to reinstall from XP to Windows 7. I installed it onto a 500gb IDE Drive, and run my samples off a 1tb SATA Drive. I installed Cubase 5, but when I try use the Virus (with the latest updates), I can hear sound but it comes with a whole lot of pops and clicks. I've tried all buffer sizes possible. I've reinstalled drivers and tried older versions too. When I look at my CPU load in Cubase the ASIO bar goes high very easily. I never had a single problem before the crash, even while running massive projects. Now with just a couple of tracks my computer can't handle. So all I can think is that because the boot disk is IDE, its too slow? Should I reinstall everything again on the SATA drive and just disable my IDE completely? Or could it be the version of Cubase that I'm using? Desperate to get back to work, please help.

System Specs:
    Intel Pentium D / 3 GHz / 3gb RAM / 32bit / Windows 7 Enterprise

• There are reported issues with unstability with this beta OS... Try downgrading and search for similar threads, because apparently it's not an easy task to really downgrade to 4.5.3 You have to manually delete drivers, registry keys and so on :S

Access Virus TI2 Polar Darkstar, Korg Kronos 88, Roland MB-8800 :thumbup:

• VC does not load samples from the hard drive in real time so this is not the reason. Most probably it's the USB drivers you might need to update, especially USB3 - if you have a choice not to connect the Virus to one, try it. Also visit the manufacturers' website for new CPU/motherboard/chipset drivers, maybe even check updates for your video adapter.
    Did you try increasing your ASIO buffer size? Are you using the Virus as your soundcard?

• I was having the same problems with 4.5.3, which is why I upgraded to OS5, so I don't think its that.

Yes I'm using the Virus as my soundcard, which I've done for years and never had a problem.

I'm a bit confused with all the different buffer sizes, I see you can change ASIO Direct X Full Duplex, then theres something called General Low Latency where you can also set buffer size. But I assume these don't apply when using the Virus as a soundcard, although I did try changing them anyway. I've tried all buffer sizes on the actual Virus control panel in Cubase Device setup, and nothing helps.

I don't have USB3.0 but I will give the USB / motherboard drivers a try and see if that helps. Thanks for the response!

• Same problem here, when i have a small project open, not a problem, everything works fine, but when i open massive projects there is this constant cracklings and pops sounds on virus althought im not getting bad vst performance by the cracklings.... im using virus ti snow last OS5, i already tried also to change the buffer size, have dedicated usb port for it, 64bits version in windows 7 and cubase 5 studio 64bits, processor intel corei7 quadcore 2ghz 8gb ram ddr3 3mb cache and 600gb HD.

Im kinda lost with it and its being very fustrating specially cause i have it only for 4 months and it wasn't happening that at the beggining... im not shure what could be that.

Some time it goes away by it self when i try to change some settings, but then after closing cubase and reopening the noises come back...

I hope we can find a solution for it :cursing:

• Insider: Does the crackling continue when a single Virus MIDI track (of a single part/channel) is soloed? If not I suggest to work through the crackling, and before the mixing stage to bounce single Virus parts to audio. Trying to find updated versions of your USB/motherboard drivers might also help. BTW are you making use of the "live" botton of VC? If you are, consider turning it off when just playing back and not recording MIDI for the Virus.

• Turns out my oldass motherboard isn't compatible with Windows 7, probably should've checked that before I installed. Even though it runs there will always be glitches without the updates. So its back to XP for me until I can afford a new computer. But at least I can install to my SATA drive now, not happy with it running off IDE. Thanks again for the help.

• Hi all
    I installed and updated to the new beta everything worked fine apart from the BSOD during the install if I allowed the virus install to configure my audio devices so I chose not to allow it. But when I played the Virus ti2 Desktop in Ableton it was like there was constant distortion over the top of the audio. So I played around with my RME babyface sample rate/ Buffer size and that fixed it for a bit but was very unstable. So I rolled all the drivers and virus os back to my previous version and it all works like a dream. I am guessing the issue might be with the new audio/usb/midi drivers.

My System specs :

Windows 7 64bit

Asus P8P67 PRO motherboard

i7 2600K CPU

16 gig G skill rip-jaw ram

RME Babyface

Nvidia GTX 580

Intel 330 SSD 120gig