Virus Ti Setup Help

• Hi there!

I have recently bought a second hand Virus Ti and am having some problems getting it setup. Im going to try explain best I can what I'm trying to do, sorry if something doesn't make sense but here goes...

*Basically I am looking to use the virus as a MIDI interface into logic, but route the audio from it through my Apogee duet 2 audio interface.*

My setup so far is:

MIDI Out from keyboard (Roland Juno-D) --> Virus MIDI in
    Output 1+2 of the Virus --> Apogee Duet Input 1+2
    The virus is also connected via USB

So far it seems i can either get the audio coming in logic but no MIDI input, or the opposite way round.

One of the things I have noticed is that if I change the I/O in logic to my duet I get audio all fine. However in the macs Audio/MIDI setup the Virus Ti connected to the keyboard is greyed out (obviously as its not set to the I/O device I'm guessing).

It would also be great if I was able to use the plugin too... although Im guessing if I'm using the Duet as my I/O, no virus will be recognised so it will be either control it via the plugin or by hardware?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

• Welcome aboard!
    The Virus has 3 working modes to consider:

• Standalone - The MIDI in and out go to the synth engine, and synth engine output goes to either of the line outs.
    • USB connected - The physical MIDI in and out become "owned" by your computer, They should be visible from your DAW. I suggest adding at least the MIDI in to the list of devices that are used when recording/monitoring MIDI. The Virus drivers create another logical (or "virtual") MIDI synth out that goes to the synth engine instead, and this is the one you should be using when crating MIDI tracks for your Virus. The audio comes out the line outs same as before.
    • USB connected with the VC plugin loaded: The physical MIDI in and out still belong to the computer and show up as ports you can use in your DAW. The logical MIDI port I mentioned is now hijacked by the plugin. Instead of routing to a MIDI port you should now route all your Virus MIDI tracks to the VC plugin (on different channels for different patches). The synth engine output no longer comes out of the line outs by default. It comes back to your DAW as the output of the plugin (up to 3 stereo pairs). You can manually configure the plugin to send some parts to line outs.

Using the Virus as a soundcard has nothing to do with what I described above. Not using the Virus as a soundcard frees up an audio feed that can be used for sidechaining the VC plugin.
    Hope this helps.