Sidechaining help! Virus TI2 and Logic 9.1.7

• HI

I've searched all around and I simply cannot find the help I need with respect to how to sidechain my Virus TI2 in Logic.

This is what I was doing: (screenshot included to clarify some of my muddy description)

I have an ULTRABEAT in stereo mode as my last Logic channel and this is what I will be sending to BUS1 in hopes of sidechaining. Then I have setup my TI2 as 3 outs/1 input; I have then added it to Logic using the multitimbral option and I have 3 Virus channels- 1 main and 2 aux. I set the TI2 so that each of the Virus channels is USB1+2, USB3+4 and USB5+6; meaning that each channel is stereo.

Now each channel (the ULTRABEAT and the 3 TI2 channels) has a compressor, space designer and adlimiter and they all work fine. On one of the channels of the TI2 (for argument's sake we'll use USB5+6 which is the last Virus channel but the third Logic channel as you'll recall my ULTRABEAT is stereo and the last Logic channel) I add a compressor at the TOP of the channel strip (above the compressor I already am using for that channel) this is the compressor I hope to use to pickup the ULTRABEAT send to BUS1 and sidechain the beat with a bass synth from the VIRUS.

This is where things go wrong. Using this method I have yet to be able to get synced proper playback; however if I use the TI2 as a stereo/1 channel logic instrument the sidechaining like this works fine- except I cannot use more than one channel from the Virus at a time which defeats the purpose of the Virus. I note that I do not know much about sidenchaining and that I am using a method I researched online. I also see that (like most windows in Logic) there is a little sidechain box on the Virus TI window- should I have been using it instead of this compressor method? I need some babystep pointers and assistance please! Sidechaining is very necessary for me and I need to figure it out.

Thanks in advance for all your time and careful consideration!

Jimmy

Mac Pro 12 x 3.33GHZ, 64GB Mem, GTX 980ti 6GB RAM, Antelope Orion 32HD, Euphonix MC Control 2 and MC Mix, Virus TI2 (full keyboard), Yamaha RS-7000 AEIB2, Spectralis 2, Roland MC-505, Korg MicroKorg, OSX 10.12.5, Logic Pro X 10.4.2, ProTools 2018.1

MacBook Pro Dual 3.06 17", 4GB Mem, 9600M GT 512MB RAM

• FOR F*CK SAKES: I can't attach my screenshot because my message is too long? REALLY?

Mac Pro 12 x 3.33GHZ, 64GB Mem, GTX 980ti 6GB RAM, Antelope Orion 32HD, Euphonix MC Control 2 and MC Mix, Virus TI2 (full keyboard), Yamaha RS-7000 AEIB2, Spectralis 2, Roland MC-505, Korg MicroKorg, OSX 10.12.5, Logic Pro X 10.4.2, ProTools 2018.1

• I appreciate the elaborate description, it is very helpful. First of all, sidechaining on the Virus itself is only good for effects generated by the Virus, such as vocoder and atomizer. Now, did you make sure that you are using the correct Virus USB out channel, the one that carries the sound of the bass patch, as the sidechaining source?

• Hi Flabber!

yes I can verify that the 3 channel of the virus is USB 5+6 and this is the channel with the extra compression at the top to pickup the ULTRABEAT bus 1 send also if I turn the compressor off (bypass) or turn the sidechain bus 1 option to none the Virus bass sound plays once again in sync.

Thanks for your help! Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you I needed to restore a backup of my 10.7.4 system so I could get back to work as 10.8 doesn't work with my TI2 with release version 4.5.3; too, my Virus doesn't like the OS5 public beta and plays out-of-sync and is unusable so I had to downgrade.

Jimmy