How do i use the TI keyboard in Cubase via USB ?? *RESOLVED*

• Hi, i've only had my TI for a few days but despite searching all the forums and reading all the relevant manual sections and the cubase setup tutorial, i cannot find any information on this simple requirement.

The TI is connected via USB to cubase SX3. The Virus control plugin loads and detects the virus, and receives midi data from the knobs, but no sound is heard when i play the keyboard. The only way i can get sound at all so far, is to use the edit button on the TI itself and change the keyboard config "Local" to ON. (Which gives me a message that i shouldn't do this in Sequencer Mode, so what exactly am i supposed to do?)

I have a midi channel setup with the Virus TI as the output, but i do not have "Virus TI" as a midi input option. Only my default sound card midi is visible in the input section.

So how do i get the TI to show up in cubase as a midi controller ? I've tried using the virus control plugin to enable remote and choose the virus template but that does not install any midi input device for cubase to see.

I just want to play the TI keyboard and record the notes and controller changes into cubase midi channel strips like i would through a normal usb midi controller, using sounds from the virus.

I can't begin to work on a project until i find out how to do this because i can't record anything! Please help..

Thanks

• Hi, i've only had my TI for a few days but despite searching all the forums and reading all the relevant manual sections and the cubase setup tutorial, i cannot find any information on this simple requirement.

The TI is connected via USB to cubase SX3. The Virus control plugin loads and detects the virus, and receives midi data from the knobs, but no sound is heard when i play the keyboard. The only way i can get sound at all so far, is to use the edit button on the TI itself and change the keyboard config "Local" to ON. (Which gives me a message that i shouldn't do this in Sequencer Mode, so what exactly am i supposed to do?)

When the virus is connected via USB and an application opens the ports, "Local Keyboard" is set to off automatically. Reason is: the keyboard + wheels is now separated from the synth, so you can play softsynths etc. with the TI keyboard.
    You need to route MIDI from the "Virus TI Synth" to the "Virus TI Synth" MIDI port.

I just want to play the TI keyboard and record the notes and controller changes into cubase midi channel strips like i would through a normal usb midi controller, using sounds from the virus.

Somehow, the MIDI ports seem not to show up in your system. There are a lot of reasons, I suggest that you contact support.

-timo

• Thanks for your input. Yeah that makes sense to have local control off assuming the midi data can be received in cubase and sent to the VC plugin to make the sounds via the TI, but as you say there must be a problem or something i've missed because the virus software did not install any USB midi inputs that cubase can select.

I did log a support request yesterday and just linked to this thread in the request since i went into it in detail here. I'm presuming that's allowed ? I've had no reply as yet.

In the meantime, i've connected a din style midi cable to the virus, and i'm using my soundcards midi interface to receive data from the Virus, but in this case when i open the VC plugin the midi output of the virus is also turned off. So i have to use the SPDIF out on the virus with the din midi out in order to get both sound and midi into cubase, both via my soundcard. This works but there is no sync between cubase and the virus.. the BPM led is out of whack and hence i'm sure the onboard delay is not in time with my sequencer either. So this is not really a solution just a stop gap to get started with a project. Essentially using this setup i am totally un-integrated!

So there must be a logical step to make the virus midi output receivable into cubase via the usb connection, so i can use the VC plugin all sync'd up and access the patch browser etc.. I'm a bit dissappointed so far that this seemingly basic and fundamental requirement does not seem to get any mention in the documentation or tutorial..

• This turned out to simply be an issue with the Virus USB drivers not installing correctly under Windows 7. It was resolved thanks to a post by another member in a thread about windows 7 usb drivers.

Simply locating the Virus TI midi and audio devices in 'Other Devices' under device manager, and manually installing the drivers from the Virus TI 'Audiodrivers' folder has resolved the issues. Cubase can now receive and record midi over USB from the virus.

With the official release of Windows 7 in a few days i guess this information should be more widely known!

-Edit hmm just noticed the recorded midi notes are slightly out of time, ahead of time it seems? wierd.. next problem to solve i guess :|