Separate voice for each midi channel

• Hi,

Im still looking at getting a virus TI ... not been scared away yet :)

Im wondering if I can link a TI up to my eigenharp now, the interesting bit is, this has very expressive keys such that it can send pitch bend and mod wheel (or similar) per key. Over midi, the way this works is that each key is sent on a different midi channel 1-16. (so called per note expression)

So what Id like to to with the virus, is have the same instrument setup, listening on midi channels 1-16, each being processed as a different voice.

as far as I can tell from the info on here: I guess this means, that I have multi part, with a midi channel for each part...

what I would like to know, is can these parts be setup as the same patch , i.e. if i alter a parameter on one of the parts will it be reflected on all the others
    thanks again for any light you can shed on this
    Mark

• hmm, i noticed a thread asking something similar:
    http://virus.info/forum/index.…i+channel+multi#post17387

in this thread, it was mentioned that the multi part, points to a number of single patches, so you can point all parts to the same patch. It then says, therefore if you change one part, and then reload the multi it will pick up the changes in all parts (as they are pointing to the same patch)

Ok, I guess this is as good as it gets? i.e. I have one patch, BUT if i change it then i will need to reload the multi for the other voices to pick it up... is this correct?
    is this reloading reasonably quick?
    i dont need it mid performance, but by the same token, I dont want to be waiting for a minute every time i make a change :)

thanks
    Mark

• I did this once with a MIDI guitar - all first 6 parts of the multi were loaded with the same patch. If you want to save yourself the labor of designing, saving and assigning the patch to multiple parts you have a few options:
    1) If basically it is the same sound but there are aspects of it you want to change over time, you can assign the parameters that control those aspects to soft knobs, and then configure the soft knobs to be global, so that they influence all the patches at once.
    2) Since VC doesn't work with multi anyway, while using it as a simple MIDI instrument (either through USB or MIDI cables, using both in and out) you can build MIDI sends in your DAW that will replicate MIDI events coming from the part you use for editing, and send them to all the other parts.
    Hope this works out!

• Thanks, yeah midi guitar is pretty much the same as Im trying to do :)

I think (1) will do what I want.

I think in practice, I will do sound design using the single patch, then just attach to a multi part when I come to 'perform', so no real issue, and as you say, I can attach to soft knobs and mod wheel anything I want to influence during performance.

am I correct in saying multipart 1-16, keep independent copies of the patch data, and 17-128 have the 'old behaviour' i.e linked directly to single patch?
    what do you mean by VC doesnt work in multi anyway?

thanks again for sharing your valuable knowledge :)

• am I correct in saying multipart 1-16, keep independent copies of the patch data, and 17-128 have the 'old behaviour' i.e linked directly to single patch?

The Snow is a little bit different in that regard, but generally you are correct.

what do you mean by VC doesnt work in multi anyway?

The Virus Control plugin only works with the Virus in sequencer mode, in which case you can use tracks/sends in the DAW itself to spread identical MIDI CC-s to all the channels.