VIRUS TI snow, sound of LFO Controlled noise all the time?

• Hi!

When I'm making patches on my Access Virus TI Snow I always get a noise in the background which sounds exactly like an LFO controlled whitenoise or something. It's hard to explain, but is this normal? what is causing it? I've tried to analyze what it could be but it's leaving me clueless :/

This is what it sounds like:

http://www40.zippyshare.com/v/56989145/file.html (you have to download it to hear it, otherwise you wont hear anything at all due to the quality reduction of zippyshare). So please don't play it live!

notice the LFO sounding like whitenoise.

Observe also that nothing is assigned to the LFO here. It's always like this! I've tried to EQ it away too.

Thanks.

• Go through the configuration menu to see if by any chance the input thru option is enabled and/or the input boost is set too high. If this is not the case, you might be using a noisy USB port. In this case try another port or connect the Virus through a USB filter.
    Hope this helps.

What menu is this? "Patch utlity?" no input is set there, only 2 outs. Also I'm using the usb cable which was in the package when I got the Virus TI. It looks like a high quality usb cable.

Also, my Virus constantly hangs and the sound is continuous.. never stops and I have to restart the virus. This only happens when there's alot of voicing going on and unison is all between 4-8.

Sometimes the sound even just dissapears when working on a patch. This is really frustrating because I have to restart the virus over and over again and my patch settings are either lost or I have to save them and load them up on the new start-up.

What is causing the problem/what can I do about these?

thanks

• You need to supply more details of your setup.

could it be mains interference rather than an LFO?
    ( perhaps try away from other devices, different location )
    Do you get but through analogue outs and headphones?

Try another USB cable anyway, though whitenoise is unlikely from a digital cable,
    More likely generated on virus , hence important to check other outs.

What do you mean by hanging? Notes left on?
    Can they be stopped with midi panic?
    Or is it really completely locked up?
    Does restarting VC help?
    Does disconnecting USB help?

Hanging I'd have thought unlikely to be related to noise,
    unless you have some serious electromagnetic interference going on ;)

Have you tried a reset of virus ?

• Hi, thanks for the answer! appreciate it.

I noticed that the noise mostly happens when I'm using hypersaws on heavy detuning and MANY saws (all the way to the right on the index wheel). My friend told me that this is because the hypersaws create a white noise all together when they are stacked and so many.
    Is this true? sometimes they occure when using squares aswell, but not as much.

About the hanging issue:

Basically it hold the note until I disconnect the virus or restart it or reload it as a plugin. Also it happens alot that the sound of the virus just dissapears, like poff.. gone. Same issue here, I have to restart it to get the sound back. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all, sometimes it occurs every 2 min or so. REALLY annoying!!!

So restarting VC helps, but the problem occurs a few mins anyway.

Disconnecting the USB helps, but the problem occurs a few mins anyway.

MIDI panic? no idea, where do I find that? eventhough no midi is playing (I've tried to mute the midi parts), the sound continues, the only way to get rid of it is by muting the whole track or reconnecting the virus or reloading the UI.

I've tried to switch to different USB port. Actually I've tried ALL usb ports on my computer and this still happens. I tried to go into the virus control center and resetting it, nothing happens.

This is all really frustrating.

Thanks.

• I found this:

Virus TI Snow Crashing all the time

Is my DSP crashing?

The problem is that I don't know if I have any warranty, and I don't even find the recepit anymore :( so no idea if I can send it back for reparation?

It seems to be happening to ALOT of people though, especially on people using MAC like me - Alot of hits when googling on this. What's the issue?

• ah, ok, so you are only getting this whitenoise with some specific patches...
    you might be getting a 'lfo' effect (phasing) from detuing, either of oscillators or the unison - try altering the detune amount, if its this, then the amount of detune will affect the phases, i.e. rate will alter.

midi panic, or panic... should be on the control panel ... (it is on a TI keyboard, not sure about snow... on keyboard, you have to press 2 keys at same time mono+sync i think). also your daw may be able to send it too. this will turn all notes off, so will let you know if your TI doesnt think its been sent a note off midi message.
    this can happen if you send data too fast to the TI... happens with me with my controller (an eigenharp) - i have to turn on decimation to reduce data rate, i don't think it should happen with a DAW/normal midi keyboard though.

Hypersaws, with many saws, layered and unison.... im not sure how many notes you are going to get on a snow like this... it has one DSP, and this sounds like a very complex sound - perhaps overloading? if you simplify a bit (reduce unison, less saws etc) , do you still get the same issues?

when you say sound turns off... all sound? or just you start to lose previous notes? ... i.e. note stealing? (quite likely from the hints about your patch given here)
    when this happens if you change to a preset, does it still not work?

• It turns off ALL sound of the virus. Not a single sound. Until restart.. this happens eventhough I don't do ANYTHING on the virus but just lets the sound continue..

and no changing preset does not work. Not even change outputs. I've tried everything, believe me.

• Tried again now - it just died. No sound at all. I just made a loop that continued all the time - after 2 mins almost exactly it just turned off the sound.. eventhough I didn't change anything on the paramters at all

• that doesn't sound good... as note stealing would just be the oldest sound.
    does the same happen on analogue/headphone output?

if it doesnt, then i guess it could be an issue over the USB cable, causing issues in VC.

but if it also stops over analogue/headphone output, then that can't be the issue, unless the virus thinks all notes have stopped.

does the sound turn off instantly... or are the releases respected...
    if its instant, again sounds like virus is halting...

if its happening on presets as well, Id be firing off an email to Access support,
    actually, Id do that anyway, giving them details of your snow, problem and setup and see what they think.

• How do I try it with the headphone output? I don't understand this.

Also - no release. Just stops quickly. Halting like you said.

I've mailed access.

It's just really depressing, this is my second virus TI snow and everytime I've used one (on different computers). I've had troubles. The last one I sold because I couldnt solve the problems.

Now when I bought another one, this happens. It's really annoying because it's getting me to start thinking that the VIRUS is just trouble after all....

• plug in some headphones into the back , output LEFT. then in VC, change output of part (or parts if many) to output 1 (or direct monitoring)
    then do what you have been doing before to test

the reason for trying this, is so you know if the snow is ceasing to generate any sound, or if its just communication of audio back over USB to virus control.

... Im sure access will get back to you pretty quickly, and will be able to quickly tell if they think its a hardware (dsp) issue or not.

good luck, hope it gets resolved quickly.

• Thanks. Here's an audio example on how it sounds when it hangs:

http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/93787640/file.html

notice the time also.. almost the same time it occurs every time....

How picky are Access on the warranty? I haven't had mine for long, but I'm the second owner.. so it's like really depressing.

• I get no sound at all when doing that. What am I doing wrong here? I have the choice of:

2 outs / no input

3 outs / no input

3 outs / 1 input

and:

surround out:

Out 1 L

Out 1 L+R

out 1 R

Then USB1 and USB2 and USB3 all the same ( L+ L+R +R)

which one should I choose?

• Okey I figured out how to do it.

Same thing happened there too. It hangs just like the audioclip I linked :/

• The good news is that you don't get a "satan's sawtooth" kind of sound (as in the other thread you linked to), just stuck notes or lost audio. This is usually a USB issue. For example, a common problem is that the computer sends the USB interal hub to sleep while the Virus is playing and this causes communication problems. In this case you should disable power saving either for the specific hardware or the whole computer. If you have friends that are mac experts this would be a good time to use them (along with Access support).