VOLUME DROPS - That f&?#% Virus is so full of bugs. I HATE IT!

• I'm so frustrated with this crappy virus and I bitterly regret ever buying it! It's so damn unstable, I'm just wasting all my energy trying to get it to work properly instead of making any music. It's fine in stand-alone, but working in VC is on holy mess!!!

Now the latest bug: In VC, part 1 sounds fine, but every other part the volume drops to very low levels! When I change the sound for a part, the volume is at a proper level, then after a few seconds, it drops to very low levels for no apparent reason. And yes, the volume faders in VC for every part do remain at the level I set them.

Oh, and now more bugs: Sounds start to distort, crackles and pops everywhere.

And another: When one of the sounds has an arpeggio, all the other sounds cut off. In other words if I hold a chord in a pad, it's notes cut off immediately when one of the other slots has a sound with an arpeggio in it!

So there goes another day when an inspiration for a new song turns into a pile of frustration.

I'm in Live 8, my computer is a MACBOOK Pro running OSX 10.6.8. It's always been super-stable and able to run many instances of Massive, Razor, Kontakt. Never had a problem until I got that lousy Virus.

• In VC, part 1 sounds fine, but every other part the volume drops to very low levels! When I change the sound for a part, the volume is at a proper level, then after a few seconds, it drops to very low levels for no apparent reason. And yes, the volume faders in VC for every part do remain at the level I set them.

Make sure that there isn't any other MIDI device connected that sends the Virus stray MIDI messages that result in volume decrease, such as expression (MIDI CC#11)

Sounds start to distort, crackles and pops everywhere.

Crackle and pop usually means that the Virus doesn't get the USB bandwidth it needs. Some of the bandwidth is taken by other USB devices (external or onboard). Open your system profiler and see what is connected near the Virus (doesn't have to be physically near...). Try to find a better USB port for the Virus to connect or disable USB devices unnecessary for music making such as webcam, bluetooth etc. If all of this fails, connect the Virus through an external hub (no other device connected to the hub) that might help by translating USB1.1 to USB2. Also try using VC in "2 out / 0 in" mode that might use less bandwidth.

When one of the sounds has an arpeggio, all the other sounds cut off. In other words if I hold a chord in a pad, it's notes cut off immediately when one of the other slots has a sound with an arpeggio in it!

You have probably programmed patches that take a lot of resources and steal notes from each other. Reduce the unison amount, envelope release tails, delay/reverb (especially the time element), complex oscillators and analog filters, and see if that improves things. If you absolutely have to have it the way you programmed it, try bouncing each part separately and mix the resulting audio tracks with the Virus muted. You can also set pad parts to a high part priority (but don't over-do this).

It's always been super-stable and able to run many instances of Massive, Razor, Kontakt. Never had a problem until I got that lousy Virus.

The difference is that those softsynths run on your local CPU. The Virus is an external sound generator and it relys on the USB to provide real time audio transfers.