A new Virus A owner looking for some pointers

• I've just picked up an Access Virus A as it was a pretty unreal deal and difficult to say no! However, until now I have always used soft synths and this is my first venture into hardware synths (even though I know it is ultimately a virtual analogue with a computer of sorts inside).Anyway, being my first hardware synth and first Virus, I was hoping to be able to find some useful video and advice on fundamentals of usage, how to get around the menu system and functions, and other essential basics before I can begin experimenting.

However, as yet I am unable to find anything. I have downloaded the manual from Access Music but I'm much more of a visual learner and finding the manual really difficult to read and understand in parts.Anyone got advice on how a noob can start learning his way about this synth and get into making music with it?

PS - I will be using it within Ableton and have it set up using a MIDI to USB cable for MIDI in/out signals and using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, running L/R from output 1 on the Virus to channels 1/2 on the interface for stereo recording. That part I have set up and getting the 'musical note' signal on the Virus screen to show it is receiving MIDI and getting audio back into Ableton.Thanks all in advance and grateful for any pointers you could share!

• hi mate,
    I'm affraid that there is not much activity in this forum anymore.

The best suggestion I can give you, is to learn substractive synthesis. It's not so complicated but has a considerably longer learn curve than you must expect. The best course I can suggest you is a 4 DVD course from Rob Papen called ELEMENTS. There you have a very complete starting to know synthesis, after that, the best that you can do is to read the manual of the Virus, with this 2 things you will have a fair control of the synth and almost any other synth. I guess there is no complete video of the basic functions of the virus since all that is in the manual.

Hope that helps

best ;)

Current Gear: Access Virus B, Moog Minimoog Voyager, Moog Minitaur, Sequential Prophet 6, Eowave Magma, Eowave Domino, Jomox Xbase 999, Roland Juno 60