How to disable Virus TI desktop volume control via expression pedal?

• Hi

I have the Virus TI desktop and up until now I have been using my Novation Ultranova quite successfully as a MIDI controller.

Today I decided to try and use my expression pedal via the Ultranova and have mixed results. Using an 'ini' patch I can set the expression pedal to modulate Osc1 pitch and this works fine I just have the problem that the volume is modulated as well (which I don't want!).

I have checked out the expression pedal MIDI signal by recording a MIDI clip in with Ableton Live (9.7.1) and the only signal picked up in Ableton is CC11 which seems to suggest the Virus is taking the MIDI signal and using it to control the volume...

Can someone tell me if it is possible alter this behaviour so I can use the expression pedal without modulating the volume?

Thanks in advance
    Kirsten

• By mixed results I meant I got one thing I wanted and another than I did not i.e. the volume modulation.

Jut checked out the MIDI output from the expression pedal using MIDI-OX and there is definitely only the expression pedal MIDI signals being generated.

Definitely something on the virus that is applying the expression pedal MIDI signals to the volume?

• Patch Volume
    0 to 127: Overall volume of a program, particularly useful for balancing levels between different programs
    (or Parts when in Multi or Sequencer modes). Note that you may have to keep this value well below 127 to
    avoid unwanted distortion, especially when playing many notes at the same time - 100 is a good starting
    point. Patch Volume reacts to MIDI CC#7 (Channel Volume) as well as CC#11 (Expression).

• Hooray!

It works :)

It took a bit of jigging around and you have to save the patch in the RAM with the changed value and then reload it into the Virus Control but now I can use the expression pedal as a modulation source without messing with the volume...

I am still perplexed as to why CC#11 is being interpreted as CC#7 but who cares as it works for me!

Ta for your assistance
    Kirsten

• I am still perplexed as to why CC#11 is being interpreted as CC#7 but who cares as it works for me!

I don't know who thought that would be a great idea, but Access are not the only ones... the Apple Logic and MainStage also interpret CC11 as volume control, and even send that out by default! Which is rather annoying if you have a VST (e.g. Absynth) on a channel that uses CC11 to modulate the sound.

But much more important: Is the OSC Pitch also hardwired to CC11 or did you do that in the modulation matrix?

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.6.6 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 13.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.8 | MainStage 3.6 | NI Komplete Ultimate 14 | RME Fireface UFX+

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ozon ()

• CC11 is designed to control the volume in a similar fashion to CC07. read the MIDI specs, alternative this one here:

http://www.sweetwater.com/insy…n-midi-volume-expression/

I looked for the MIDI specs, and even registered at midi.org to gain full access. Unfortunately, I did not find any mention on how to interpret "Expression"... which makes sense, because musical expression is very different on different instruments. On classical instruments it's mostly acheived with crescendos, which on most instruments do not only change the volume but also the timbre. Thus, on a synth, it would be more logical to have CC11 control any parameters (e.g. filter cutoff, fx) instead of have it hard wired to the volume.

Thus, I'd prefer if it was possible to decouple CC11 from the volume control of a patch.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.6.6 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 13.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.8 | MainStage 3.6 | NI Komplete Ultimate 14 | RME Fireface UFX+