Arp as Step Sequencer Glitch?

• Hi all,
    Just curious....I see reports of the Transpose function getting stuck at the last note played when using the ARP to matrix function as a step sequencer, but what exactly does that mean? That the transpose buttons won't work anymore requiring a hardware power down/restart to resolve the problem, or??
    Thanks!

• It means the the oscillators have an offset of pitch equal to the last note that was played. If you then start the sequence again, the next note starts from that offset. It has nothing to do with the transpose buttons. And although somehow annoying, it's actually not a bug and makes sense if you think about it: The ARP does not actually play MIDI notes (like a sequencer does) but changes the transpose value of the oscialltors or the whole patch. Therefore, if you stop the ARP at a transposition value of e.g. a fifth (+7), and then switch of the ARP, the oscialltors or the patch are still transposed at +7.

That said, a real step sequencer and some of the ARP capabilities found in Blofeld would make the Virus even more useful as the center piece of a whole setup.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Hey back, Oli !,
    I was thinking about this some more. Could not get the quote function to work today, but you said above:

"The ARP does not actually play MIDI notes (like a sequencer does) but changes the transpose value of the oscialltors or the whole patch."

Did you mean just when using the arp to matrix function? Or is it like that even when using the arp normally? I always thought the arp did actually play MIDI notes.

Thanks!

• I think it never sends MIDI notes... what would be the reason for a synth's internal arp to send MIDI notes?

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Ok, I had some fun doing a couple of tests.
    In order to get MIDI notes from the ARP you have to change this setting:

CONFIG > MIDI 2/2 > Arp Note Send > On

Then the Virus will send out MIDI notes from the ARP. However, it will only do that if the Arp Mode is not "Arp > Matrix". Also, it will not send out the transposition created by the Matrix, because that is actually an OSC transposition as mentioned above.

Moreover, it seems that the MIDI notes send from the ARP are not very accurate with rather varying lengths at constant Note Length setting.

• "Then the Virus will send out MIDI notes from the ARP. However, it will only do that if the Arp Mode is not "Arp > Matrix"."

That's what I was wondering! Thanks for your research, Oli !
    A use for the arp sending MIDI notes could be to arpeggiate a different sound module as we've actually already discussed before in another thread, as well as the use in the thread you mentioned.
    However, it is handy to know your discovery that MIDI notes sent from the Virus arp can have inaccurate note length. I'll keep that in mind.
    Thank you, sir!

• To use the Arp output to trigger VSTs is probably a major PITA. Out of curiousity I recorded all the factory Arp patterns in Cubase: The patch producing the Arp notes was also triggered by a note from another track in Cubase.

Result: The timing of the recorded arp notes was all over the place! IMO, unusable to layer another synth especially with percussive sounds.

• Moreover, it seems that the MIDI notes send from the ARP are not very accurate with rather varying lengths at constant Note Length setting.

the notes have different length on intention, if that's what you mean. but really, don't expect the arpeggiator to MIDI function to be super accurate. we've implemented it so people who want to experiment with the patters can "import" them and mess around.

• the notes have different length on intention, if that's what you mean. but really, don't expect the arpeggiator to MIDI function to be super accurate.

Marc, I'm not talking about the intentional differences of note length within the pattern, but about variations when the pattern is triggered several times. As already mentioned, the note starts aren't accurate either. Not a problem for me, because IMO the Arp is a performance tool to be used within the synth -- from a DAW I rather have control over all the notes as individual events.

If you're interest to have some examples of the inaccuracies, I can produce and upload some MIDI sequences.

we've implemented it so people who want to experiment with the patters can "import" them and mess around.

That's cool. If I find the time, I'll put together a visual representation of all the factory patterns I recorded.

Unfortunately, it's hard to tell whether the original postions in the factory patterns are quantized or whether they have some intentional "groove". There are some patterns where the sub-divisions seem to not fully match the selected quantization step (e.g. I think pattern 40 which has some accelerando and decelerando feeling).