virus ti2 strange glitches

• Dear Access,

I purchased a new Virus TI2 Desktop in April 2016.

Since the beginning, I've been having these random glitches while playing patches.

I recorded an example and uploaded it here:

Externer Inhalt soundcloud.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Between second 1 and 2, you can clearly hear the artifact.

It occurs randomly, sometimes it runs fine for half an hour, sometimes it happens multiple times in a minute.
    It appears at all midi channels simultaneously, or at least that's how it sounds like.
    This never occurs on any other synths.

At first, I thought it had something to do with my PC sound card, so I tried an external sound card (Roland Quad Capture) with ASIO drivers.
    I also tried the internal Virus sound card.

My DAW is Ableton Live 9 on a PC with Windows 7, after a while I moved to Windows 10 (clean install).

The Virus is in multi mode, to be able to use multi timbrality.

Suggestions on forums were to have the Virus on its own USB bus, so I got a the StarTech.com 2 ports USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps) PCI Express and only connected the Virus to it.

Then, after nothing seemed to be solving the problem, I stepped away from using sound over USB and hookep up the Virus Analog Outputs and ran it through an external mixer.

Still the same issues :|

Just recently, new firmware was available on your website, so I installed the 5.1.7.00. I was hoping that it would finally fix the problem, but again, the issue remains.

I'm kinda running out of options here, and I have no clue what I could try next.

Please help... and thanks in advance!

• In addition, while I was looking for a relationship in the FX of the used patch, I found that setting the feedback time affected the artifact.

The recording:

Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Midi over USB and audio via analog output (1)

The patched I used here: Flangepad@ - No reverb, classic simple delay at 0db and feedback at 80%
    (In my previous post. the feedback was much less.)

Same thing when I turn off all the effects in the patch (except the delay), no LFO, no sub osc, no osc3, no matrix, no ARP, no FM, no ringmod, no unison, no automation, no nothing...
    And same again, with the init patch and only some delay.

When it happens, it detunes the oscillator as well:

Hope this helps to determine what can be done about it.

• Sounds to me as if the glitch happens at exactly the same position in time. Therefore, I'd look for a random MIDI controller event (pitch bend?) in your MIDI track.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.6.6 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 13.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.8 | MainStage 3.6 | NI Komplete Ultimate 14 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Hi oliAtBass, thanks for the advise.

Although, there are no midi control events in the track, I used a clean project and empty midi clip, just pasted some notes in there.

It's been happening in all my projects, randomly, and while I was recording these examples, I had to wait several minutes for it to occur.
    After that I cropped the sample to keep it short for uploading.

• OK, thanks for the detailed explanation. So the glitch happened at the same time by accident?

Do these glitches also happen if you connect a keyboard via MIDI and play your Virus directly?
    When you say you use the Virus in Multi Mode, do you use the VC plugin in your DAW?

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.6.6 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 13.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.8 | MainStage 3.6 | NI Komplete Ultimate 14 | RME Fireface UFX+

• I guess it's called "sequencer mode", both "single" and "multi" LEDs are lit on the Virus when using a DAW. And yes, I do use the VC plugin.

Ok, so I've connected an old midi keyboard to the Virus via DIN plug, no PC / no USB.
    So far I've not been able to reproduce the problem (have not played a long time yet though).

I'm suspecting either the midi over USB or the DAW.

My whole purpose was to use multiple midi channels of the Virus, controlled by a DAW and the VC plugin.

Maybe I'm missing a configuration setting on the software or hardware?
    I'm hoping to find a solution soon, as this has been bugging me for a long time.

• OK.

I doubt that either your DAW (Ableton Live) or the USB connection per se can produce the type of glitch we can hear in the examples. This is obsviously a sudden detune which then is processed by the FX section (delay). IMO, this indicates that either the Virus' Oscillator section is misbehaving all by itself, or there are random MIDI controller events produced somewhere in the chain to the Virus.

Do you have any kind of controller device (keyboard, pads, faders, etc.) attached to your computer and routed through Ableton to control the Virus? If so, it could be that this device is generting those events, maybe due to vibrations.

• Hey, thanks for the feedback!

Yes I do have other midi synths and controllers, but I detached all of them during my tests to make sure they aren't interfering.

I also tried other USB ports on my PC and other USB cables.
    Even played around with buffer sizes and other settings.

So with everything off, and running only the Virus and Ableton, it keeps occurring.

I just installed some free DAW (MuLab) and added the same midi notes to a clip and play it through the VC plugin.
    It did not occur during 30 minutes of playing.

No time left to test today, but I certainly will later this week...