Virus b, hardware bug, constantly switching to EFFECT

• Hi to all,

I hope somebody had/has the same problem than me. I switch on my Virus b and either it is already switched to Effect (effect button is very quickly flashing as well) or if I switch to SINGLE or MULTI it switches back to EFFECT after one second. It is almost not possible to switch to a different preset (only if you are quickly enough). CONTROL click is not working. I have exchanged the battery and updated the OS from 4.01 to 4.07, still struggling to update until 4.5 but I am sure it won't fix it. I have red something about hardware bugs with capacitors but the errors explained there doesn't fit to me. Everything else is working. I can play it. Every button else is working. Factory reset is working. I can change the presets if I am quickly enough to press PRESET and next and I can play the synth.

Any help appreciated?

I also read something about the repair center of KEMPER in Germany? Can they fix it after so many years?

Thanks to all

Marco

• Hey,

not sure if you still have this issue but I had same fault with my virus b and managed to fix it. one of the LEDs on the front panel is faulty and because they are in the same circuit as the buttons the faulty LED causes the button to 'ghost' jump. if you need more help with it let me know.

• Hey,

not sure if you still have this issue but I had same fault with my virus b and managed to fix it. one of the LEDs on the front panel is faulty and because they are in the same circuit as the buttons the faulty LED causes the button to 'ghost' jump. if you need more help with it let me know.

Hi there! I'm having the same problem as the op and was wondering how you tracked down the faulty LED, here all of them seem to be working, I'm curious as to which one you found was the wrong one :)

Thank you!

• My assumption is that the circuit makes use of the fact that LEDs are diodes, blocking current in the non-conductive direction. If an LED becomes conductive in this direction then that could be interpreted as a key press. So you could check if the LEDs are indeed non-conductive at reverse polarity.