Beiträge von Isris

It happens with some and not others. Also, when turning on the arpeggiator, it falls out of sync and usually does some weird audio hiccup. You have to stop, turn it on then and carry on which disallows playing the patch as a single note and immediately shifting to the arpeggiated 'mode' of playing.

Sorted on this one guys. My midi channels were set correctly Flabberbob, the problem was that this new template project (which I call Virus Multi for obvious reasons), hadn't carried over the option 'Auto demix by channel if multi-channel recording' from all my other Logic templates. It's available in the recording settings and separates the midi streams for each channel so that each one diverts to the correct midid channel, rather than playing them all globally.

My flow Flabberbob is that all the data comes from Max/MSP (I have a long standing project which is a performance patch for the creation of complex rhythm structures), into Logic, plays and records on (now!) the individual channels. I generally just click all the record buttons or create a group of the channels which can then be set in the group settings to all record with one click.

I've tried this Jörg, in a fresh project with the Access recommended method of setting up a multi-channel instrument in Logic, routing the audio via a bus to an audio channel to record in the typical Logic fashion. I have tried this both with the Virus as the soundcard and the Duet as the soundcard and sadly the problem remains, huge CPU usage and audio distortion. I also tried Live mode and non-Live mode to see if that helped.

However...

I have noticed that the CPU is lower when Logic is recording at 44.1 rather than 88.2. However, the CPU is still far higher than a normal recording procedure with any other incoming source. It is within non distorting bounds upon initial testing but I prefer working in 88.2 and I would hope that the Virus wouldn't impede this.

Best, and thank you for your continued support.

Sometimes when using the arpeggiator, upon playing the same midi note twice in a row, the full sequence fails to play out in full and stops after a certain length of a phrase. When I press the key again it keeps on only playing this section of length until I play a different midi note. Sometimes it simply plays only part of the phrase on first press. I have gone through everything that could be affecting it, there are no matrix routings, no velocity map alterations that could be doing it.

Has anyone experienced this before and / or have any idea to stop this locking behaviour and allow the arpeggiator to play correctly each time?

Thank you.

@ Flabberbob: I don't think that's the issue as I'm getting crackle and dropouts when the CPU meter goes into the red.

@ Jörg: The TI2 is not being used as an interface, an Apogee Duet is, I had it at 128, dropped to 256 which seemed to make no difference. Yes Logic is set to 'all' in delay compensation.

Thank you both for the replies.

Best Regards,

Isris

Hello.

I would like to suggest that the ability to switch between multis, i.e. sets of individual patches in one fell swoop rather than loading many individual patches whilst integrated would be exceedingly useful. My current setup is using the Virus live as the main synth for Live performance. Therefore when moving between collections of patches, changing them individually is not an option due to the amount of time it takes. I'm not saying you have to be able to run in multi-mode when integrated (although I'm guessing that may reap other rewards), just that you can switch between multis when integrated.

Best,

Isris.

When using my Virus in Logic setup as a multi-instrument in Logic, the sixteen separate midi channels have ascending midi channels from 1 to 16. However, when playing in midi notes on different channels, all are playing whichever channel is selected and therefore 'armed'. When multiple tracks are armed, notes coming in trigger all the Virus channels, regardless that the notes are on individual channels and each Virus channel is set to an individual one.

Separating the midi in Logic's environment and directing each one to each part of the multi-channel may work, but then you can't record the midi, and it seems like a long workaround considering that most multi-channel instruments you can simply set the midi channel of a track, therefore prompting it to react to the correct midi signal.

I've tried setting individual parts in the Virus Config but it changes all the parts. Is this another odd behaviour to the Virus when in Control Mode?

Thank you all.

Isris.

Cheers Flabberbob. I was hoping to use the Virus with Max whilst it was hosted in Logic (for a number of slightly oddball reasons) so I wouldn't have multi-mode available to me. I shall attempt some work-arounds and get back to this thread once I've had a bash.

jhuettner - Thank you for confirming that. I will be playing my virus from a Max/MSP patch which sends signals into Logic which will be hosting the Integration plugin. Hopefully I will be able to send multiple program changes from Max and therefore switch between different projects when one is using slots 1 - 8 and the next 9 - 16 without the music stopping. Changing them individually with the mouse during whilst performing would take too much time, so I hope that this works.

flabberbob - I will investigate this, does the Virus receive sysex messages whilst in integration mode? It will have to be in 'bunches' of eight changes for the reasons mentioned in the above paragraph, and play & stop isn't an option as the music has to keep running!

access - I don't know whether it is an oversight or a function in the making, but being able to switch between multis whilst integrated seems like a very obvious function, and one which really should be included. I bought the Virus on the understanding that such functionality would be available, presuming it would be based on it's obviousness, and it was never made clear that it wouldn't work in this way. I am very pleased with my synth in many ways, but I feel that this functionality should be added at the next available opportunity.

Thank you all very much for the input and suggestions, all info is very much appreciated!

Hello all. I've recently bought my new virus and ironing a few problems / question marks.

My main issue that I can't find the solution to is that when in sequencer mode, the Virus is nether in single or multi mode. One of the big reasons I went for this synth is so I can open several of the parts in one fell swoop (by loading a new multi) and instantly re-engage performing. However, as multis cannot seem to be loaded in sequencer mode, I can't see how to open multiple parts at once, and one can't be fiddling around opening several parts whilst trying to perform.

Any solutions?

Many thanks.