Loading multiple parts in sequencer mode

• Hello all. I've recently bought my new virus and ironing a few problems / question marks.

My main issue that I can't find the solution to is that when in sequencer mode, the Virus is nether in single or multi mode. One of the big reasons I went for this synth is so I can open several of the parts in one fell swoop (by loading a new multi) and instantly re-engage performing. However, as multis cannot seem to be loaded in sequencer mode, I can't see how to open multiple parts at once, and one can't be fiddling around opening several parts whilst trying to perform.

Any solutions?

Many thanks.

• It is simply not possible to operate the Virus in a different mode than Sequencer Mode when using the Virus TI Control plugin. There's no workaround for this and this also cannot be changed.

I would simply load other sounds you want to use on PART slots you haven't used yet (given you don't use already 16 different sounds and want to switch to another 16 sounds).

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

• jhuettner - Thank you for confirming that. I will be playing my virus from a Max/MSP patch which sends signals into Logic which will be hosting the Integration plugin. Hopefully I will be able to send multiple program changes from Max and therefore switch between different projects when one is using slots 1 - 8 and the next 9 - 16 without the music stopping. Changing them individually with the mouse during whilst performing would take too much time, so I hope that this works.

flabberbob - I will investigate this, does the Virus receive sysex messages whilst in integration mode? It will have to be in 'bunches' of eight changes for the reasons mentioned in the above paragraph, and play & stop isn't an option as the music has to keep running!

access - I don't know whether it is an oversight or a function in the making, but being able to switch between multis whilst integrated seems like a very obvious function, and one which really should be included. I bought the Virus on the understanding that such functionality would be available, presuming it would be based on it's obviousness, and it was never made clear that it wouldn't work in this way. I am very pleased with my synth in many ways, but I feel that this functionality should be added at the next available opportunity.

Thank you all very much for the input and suggestions, all info is very much appreciated!

• If you want to prepare multis beforehand, and switch between them, then use a regular MIDI out, which is native to Max/MSP with the Virus in multi mode. I haven't used it much recently but if I remember correctly, you can still address each part separately, just remember to set the global channel to something you will not use. On top of that, you can enable the Virus to translate patch change MIDI messages to mutli changes. And there is a feature you might like - multis 1-16 store their own patch copies, and not patch references, so you can create unique patches just for those multis. You can still use VC offstage, to create patches before the show.

• Cheers Flabberbob. I was hoping to use the Virus with Max whilst it was hosted in Logic (for a number of slightly oddball reasons) so I wouldn't have multi-mode available to me. I shall attempt some work-arounds and get back to this thread once I've had a bash.

• I think it might be easier than you think. Just don't use VC. When VC is not up your Mac will have a MIDI output called "Virus MIDI synth", to which you can send the MIDI data you generate. I'm pretty sure that the thing that forces the Virus to sequencer mode is the VC, without it you are free to change modes. I'm not near my Virus right now so I cannot verify it, but I'm quite certain.