Beiträge von danielb

Hi all,

The pitch bend wheel on my Virus TI2 keyboard has started to emit random values without me touching it.

What would be causing this? Is it probably dirty contacts in the wheel potentiometer?

If it is, I'd like to try to clean it myself before handing it over to the service center. I have opened up and worked on many synths over the years. I am unable to find any clear instructions on how to get it open, so I would appreciate any links or pictures that anyone might have.

Also, is there a way to turn the pitch bend off so that I can at least use the Virus for now? It is my main control keyboard and is sorely missed...

Regards,

D.

Hi all,

To answer my own question - my Virus TI2 keyboard works extremely well with a Kanex Thunderbolt to USB adapter. I've only had it for a few days, but in that time it has been perfect. It is hard to believe that the TI could work better.

On the other hand, my system worked pretty well without it too, but I think it was worth it to get it from 95% to 99.5%...

D.

Hello,

I got exactly the same error when trying to install the new version 5.1.3. I have a MacBook Pro 13" Retina, late 2013, with Yosemite 10.10.3.

I managed to downgrade to 5.1.1, which BTW, works extremely well on my machine; close to perfect in fact. So everything is working again for now.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

D.

Hi all,

I have just bought a new Macbook Pro, 13".

It has two USB3 ports, and, somewhat surprisingly, the Virus Control plug-in seems to work well with it, despite telling me that it is connected to the same USB bus as my soundcard. I have only tried out basic functionality and haven't really put any strain on it yet.

The Macbook Pro also has two Thunderbolt ports, and you can get Thunderbolt to USB adapters. It occurs to me that if the Virus worked with this, then it really would be alone on a bus, and it would free up a USB port for other stuff.

Has anyone ever tried this?

Tks,

Daniel

Hi all,

I am trying to assign channel pressure to a knob using Virus Remote Mode. I want to control the filter cutoff of my Roland D550, and it cannot be assigned to a Midi CC, only to aftertouch.

When I assign D0 * to a knob, it doesn't seem to send anything at all. It does send ordinary midi control codes, and I can transmit aftertouch using the keyboard, so it seems to be a limitation in the remote feature.

Has anyone ever tried this?

I really ish the remote feature was more developed...

D.

Logic 9 - acceptable latency, relatively stable, no realtime freeze, realtime render only possible if you export to a file then reimport into project

That's not right.

Once I am satisfied with a composition, I record my Virus tracks to audio, and then disable the Virus Control plug-in. From that point on you can real-time render in Logic 9 (and X).

D.

Hii all,

Here is my latest piece. Like all my recent work, it is based around the Virus TI, but it is also first time I have used my Eurorack modular system in a track.

It also features Absynth and the Korg M1 Legacy Edition.

It features some fairly fancy sound design (for me), and was quite hard to mix, with loads of automation and (the horror...) sidechain compression.

Please let me know what you think:

[soundcloud]

Externer Inhalt soundcloud.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    [/soundcloud]

So I went to town a bit, and had some fun.

Most of it is done with the Virus, but I also used Sylenth1 and Massive.

The drums are Maschine, hence the name.

[soundcloud]

Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    [/soundcloud]

HI,

As you probably know, Gary Numan uses Viruses in his live shows to get very near to the sounds he used years ago in his early songs.

I am a great Gary Numan fan and also got to meet him recently at a Splinter gig.

I will probably be able to help you to get the Numan sounds with your Virus if you let me know which sounds you are looking for.

Meanwhile, here are my two Gary Numan covers:

A Prayer for the Unborn; this one is almost almost all Virus:

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

and Airlane. There is no Virus in this one, because I did it before I bought my Virus. The main lead is a Korg Radias:

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

Daniel

Hi all,

While doing my "homework" for a Gary Numan concert recently, I fell in love with this song, and, as sometimes happens when I get obsessed with a song, I decided to make a cover of it.

This is the result. Everything is either my Virus TI or NI Maschine, except for the white noise sweeps, which are my Arturia Minibrute.

All credit for the song goes to Gary Numan, but the mistakes are mine alone.

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

Hi all,

This track was made with my two prides and joys: the Virus and my Emulator II:

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

D.

that's a great job Daniel, excellent synth work. I am not super familiar with the original, but it stands on its own feet!.. I "followed" you on soundcloud.

oh.. btw, how did you embed the soundcloud player into the forum post?..

thx, ian

Thanks!

You embed the Soundcloud player using the "SoundCloud" button in the editor. It is the last button on the right :) It inserts a pair of tags and you put the URL of the song between them.

D.

I understand that's a selected project for a music program?.. was that your motivation in doing this song?..

if you are a yazoo fan (aka you are european and old enough..lol) this is one I recently completed..

https://soundcloud.com/mystic38/only-you-feat-bethany-mcgill

Well, I've always liked the song (yes, I am that old) and always wanted to do a cover of it, so here it is.

Your cover of "Only You" is really good.

I don't usually do many covers, but here's another one I did recently:

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

D.

I've asked this before, sadly it is not possible :(

However, if you load the default remote template from the public remote templates menu then turn the semitone knob you will see it has a value range of 0-12.

I've never been able to limit the range of the knobs in my templates.

Hi,

I've been looking into this a bit more. Several of the included templates have values that are limited to 0-11, however there is no way to do this in the VC editor.

Presumably someone at Access has an internal tool with extra functionality.

I even tried looking at a .vrt file with a hex editor to see if I could hack it,. It was obvious that there were different values for the limited parameters, but it was not obvious what the values meant, so no success so far.

Overall, the remote mode editor is woefully incomplete. There seems to be no way to initialise a template, and no way to copy a template from one slot to another, or anything else other than very basic functionality.

It could be extremely useful if it were further developed.

D.