Beiträge von ozon

BTW, if interested in a good overview of the D50 factory patches, here's a very nice compilation (8 videos)

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

I also discovered that keytracking the TI2 wavetable "Sniper" with a little detuned doubling was a great way for the TI2 to produce a very nice emulation of those captivating PPG choir patches.

Just watched this

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

And tried to find a suitable wavetable. To me, some waves of Pingox, Nasal and Voxinox sounded closer to that selected PPG wave.

Ah this is hilarious! I just spend 2 quality hours having serious fun developing LA-ish sounds from your suggestion.

You have to check out the Hyper Chorus: It can be used to get that deep lush sound without adding unison! Mix 100%, amount between 2.0 and 3.0 and then add depth to taste (for me around 60% sounds just right). The Vintage Chorus is also nice to get that typical Roland vibe going on.

Also very nice:

• Using Wavetable PWM oscillator and adding some detune
    • Using the HyperSaw OSC and Wavetable PWM OSC together to get some serious richness before even adding Chorus or Unison

BTW, I found a couple of other D50 type sounds in the ROM banks and free soundsets:

Bank
    Preset
    Name
    ROM H 007 AftaglowPX
    ROM Q 006 AftrglowMS
    ROM C 012 D50Lead MS
    ROM O 026 D50MorphCC
    ROM N 043 Glassey SV
    ROM K 035 GlasStrgSV
    OS 5 New Feature Patches 020 Epiphany
    Ephilion Signature Bank 037 Afterglow
    The Unfinished Chiaroscuro 029 FantaszyTU
    Andy Vax SynSun 078 GlassPad

Discovering a whole new side of the Virus 8)

Virus Control Tutorial, pages 13 - 14. This should be among the documentation installed by the VC Sowftware Installer.

And yes, using a supported DAW is crucial for proper operation of the plugin.

Is "Frequency" a parameter in the nine filter modes you listed?

It is. And as suggested by psylence, you can control it via Mod Matrix.

Simply link filterbank frequency in the matrix to, for example, controller 12 (amount full positive +63) and assign control 12 to a soft knob. Filterbank frequency should be zero in the effects section. Then link controller 12 as a soft knob.

Thanks! This woraround is usable but less desirable:

• lose a valuable Matrix slot to control one single parameter
    • the currently selected controller value is not saved with the patch or Multi
    • IME using the Matrix often increases the CPU load of the patch, which is kind of silly if it does nothing but bring one parameter to the front panel

And I love that the TI2 is sophisticated enough to approximate some of the D50 patches.

Would you mind sharing them?

FYI, Roland also issued the D50 as VST plugin. I think there's a 30 day trial version available which could serve your purpose.

BTW, having craved for a D50 back in the day when it came out (but couldn't afford), I naturally also checked out all the videos about the D05. And in my opinion it fails to nail the D50 sound: It misses some of the deepness, movement and warmth. But that's probably highly subjective.

It seems that the Polar plays the MIDI channel of the currently selected Part. The currently selected Part is stored with the Multi, so if you change Multis, the selected Part will change accordingly.

Say you want to play the sounds 1, 2 and 3 with the external keyboard (which sends on MIDI channel 2) and sound 4 with the Polar keyboard:

• Set Parts 01, 02, 03 to channel 2
    • Set key range and transposition of Parts 1,2,3 so that they can be properly played from the external keyboard
    • Set Part 04 to another channel (e.g. 4)
    • Set Part 04 to full key range
    • Make Part 04 the selected Part

Now your Polar's keyboard will control Part 04, while your external keyboard controls Parts 1, 2 and 3.

Does that help?

PS: I just realized that this means you could also "abuse" the Multis to be not only one set (e.g. for a song) but also to have several sets/groups within the Multi by assigning several Parts to the same channel and then switching between the selected Parts:

• Set Parts 01, 04, 05 to channel 1
    • Set Parts 02, 06, 07, 08 to channel 2
    • Set Parts 03, 09,10, 11, 12 to channel 3

This way you can build keyboard setups for sections of a song and access them by just selecting a different Part.

Organizing patches is really easy with the Virus Control Plugin. You create files for banks, as many as you like and where you like to have them (within the VC preset banks folder structure). Then you can drag and drop patches between banks, no matter whether these are virtual banks (i.e. bank files) or the RAM banks in your Virus.

It's really worth to read the documentation about the VC plugin. Although the visuals are pretty outdated, most of the user interface concept is still the same in the current version. Especiall regarding the whole patch managment.

I really love some drones, atmospheric soundscapes in Virus.

There are a couple of free sets available for download on the virus.info website. If I remember correctly, try these:

• The Unfinished Chiaroscuro Signature Set
    • HGSounds Astronomy Patches
    • Efrain Beccera Astral Demo Patches
    • Numb - 0714 Sound Set
    • Tarekith Elemental soundset

And a shameless plug for fellow forumite Sebastian and his Ultimate X Sounds. His sound sets are really well made. Personally I totally dig Atmosphere 1 & 2 and will probably get 4 as well:
    https://www.ultimatexsounds.com/atmosphere4-more
    https://www.ultimatexsounds.com/drone-x-sounds-vol-1-more

The Humanoid Sound Systems Sets are also nice:
    http://www.humanoidsoundsystems.com/access-virus-ti/

Yes, that's possible. It's not even complicated. It's how you use the Desktop / Rack model with any controller keyboard in a live setting. The synth section of all Virus TI's are identical, so the Polar is Desktop with a built-in keyboard. General steps:

• Switch Virus to Multis
    • Set up keyboard to send MIDI to the Virus
    • Set Virus to MIDI keyboard settings to Local OFF
    • Set up your Multi's MIDI Channel and Key Ranges for each of the 16 Parts.

Also very helpful: Read up on the section about Multis in the User Manual :)

The choruses are really good, but I'd love that typical ARP Ensemble effect.

AFAIK, the Solina Ensemble effect used bucked brigades to build 3 individually modulated delay lines.
    The Vintage and Hyper Chorus are designed to get you in that direction. So it might already be in there, but requires some parameter tweaking.

Here's a couple of excerpts from the Virus TI Addendum (4.5.1):

Armed with that knowledge, I'd first try the Hyper Chorus at high depth setting with the amount reduced to 50% (3 delay lines instead of 6).

I'm going to state a couple of mostly obvious facts and reasons, why you probably won't find the requested sound sets:

• Brand and model names are generally protected and registered trademarks of their respective holders (ARP, Elka, Korg, Moog, Roland etc.). You may not use these names to sell your own products. If you want to use these names you must obtain license for this use, which may be costly or not granted at all.
    • The Virus is a synth, not a sampler. Although it is a great sounding and rather flexible hardware synth, the Virus has a predefined set of waveforms, a limited set of oscialltors and filters, and the signal path of its synth engine can not be re-arranged or changed in any way. Thus, its capabilities of exactly replicating the trademark sounds of other synths is limited.
    • As a sound set customer, I would expect a sound set that is named after an existing hardware synth model to be a faithful recreation of the original sound banks, and some well known sounds of that synth. And I'd be very disappointed if it's not. The type of discussion and feedback this yields can be seen in the comment sections for reviews of VSTs that claim to offer exact replications of famous vintage sounds. As a sound designer, you don't want to go there; It's an exhausting uphill battle you can never win.

My personal opinion on this subject: Why would you want your Virus to exactly sound like a set of old hardware, which is only known because some world famous artists used one sound on a recording? The only thing you can do with such a trademark sound is play that famous tune. Because if you're not going to play that tune, it either doesn't matter what sound you use or it even has a negative impact because of audience expectations when hearing that trademark sound. (Hint: Try to play anything else with the D-50's "Pizzagogo" sound than Orinoco Flow by Enya). Thus, I only do classic sound re-creations for myself to learn more about how certain sounds can be acheived with the Virus.

The Filterbank Frequency is available as destination for the Soft Knobs, but it only works for the modes Frequency Shifter and Ring Modulator.

The assignment does not work for any of the 9 Filter modes:

• Vowel Filter
    • Comb Filter
    • 1 Pole XFade
    • 2 Pole XFade
    • 4 Pole XFade
    • 6 Pole XFade
    • LP VariSlope
    • HP VariSlope
    • BP VariSlope

It would be great if it worked on those modes as well.

Also, please make the other Filterbank parameters available as Soft Knob destinations as well.

Quite often, I'd like to assign the a parameter of the Filter Bank or the Distortion effect to a Soft Knob just to find out it's not possible.

Please make all modulation destinations also available as destinations for the Soft Knobs.