Beiträge von DeaDeus

For SINGLE Mode:

But, for MULTI Mode, i have find nothings

Hi, find attached a file I received from the Access support team. So I am sure it is not a secret I share here, but a valuable information source for "deep divers" like me.

I used it for programming my Bitstream 3x. It is a complete midi data sheet with all valid CCs and Sysex's.

Unfortunately was I not able (might be I make a mistake somewhere....) to switch Multis. The Bitstream would be the perfect companion, as it can have 20 programs which is more than the 16 Embedded Multis (0-15). The Referenced Multis (16 - upwards....) are only mentioned once in the attached file - at the end.

.... And also think Access Music is obligated to do something about this situation.

Exactly my opinion - it is not that the Virus is not being bought anymore - this seems NOT an issue. So why not give the whole community the benefit of a proper working and "state of Art" software as DAW Plugin and Standalone.

A real shame is the difficulty to access the high potential of the User Arpeggiator Pattern.

I am not a lazy guy when it comes to create sounds - but the almost closed shell of this feature is holding up a lot of creativity. If the hardware cannot do it (obviously) then an intuitive software can help.

Major Tom, thanks for bringing up this wrap-up.

I agree, that this synth cannot be better than it is. But the 32 knobs are not enough to get best out of this synth - too much digging into the menues to my taste. Therefor I got myself a programmable 2nd hand controller (Bitsream 3x) - not easy to program, but with a little help of the Access team (special sysEx control via Page B "Poly Pressure") it works like charm now

- I can now do things like swithing on/off "Split of Filter", Cutoff Filter Link ON/OFF, Note Hold, Arpeggiator Velocity to Volume, Arp Vel to OSC1 Form, Arp Swing, Arp Note Length, Patch Volume (without using two hands!) Bass and Mid Boost, and many more...

Key Follow - Env Amnt - Resonance - Cutoff - of the individual filters 1 and 2 directly with individual sliders!

Mixing of Multis is now easy too - 8 parts at least - more than I usually need....just another program of the Bitstream and on you go...

I bet other controllers can do similar.....

"..the lack of support for years made my decision difficult..."

Yes indeed - this is something I cannot understand. I checked out the Mystery software - nothing for me, I admit....

I bought the Arturia Polybrute about 6 month ago - their software is a good (.. there is always something what could be better ;)

But the bi-directional communication between SW and HW is amazing - including data management. As I am not using SW for my music (I use the MPCX, which is nothing but a computer in a dedicate box) the Arturia SW is running smoothly outside a DAW. But the two are not comparable, as the Virus is virtual analogue and the Polybrute analogue (though digital effects and patchfield connections).

The Virus can even simulate the "Morph" function of the PB - using the 6 slots of the Matrix - assigned to a controller, e.g. wheel, pedal or whatever. It is not the same though....therefor simulate....

- Whatever happens to the future of Kemper strategies - I will keep my Virus as an important part of my system and I never regretted to buy one.

abraxa - I can understand Zap13.

The problem is neither on the Avid nor Zap13. Kemper has not even brought up a fix Catalina. I should not be bothered because I am a Windows user and not even using a DAW.

The control software of the Virus is outdated for a while - multiple times, for years I read that users like to have a modern interface to control the Virus - Kemper clearly stated - NO update is coming.

Personally I have another issue: I am waiting for quite a while to get a new full size synth - and as I am a happy Virus user I though that they must come with a brand new idea.

I just bought a PolyBrute, because I was tired to wait until Access comes around the corner with a new synth. The software is mint! Bi-directional control - you see what you are doing. File management is perfect. And I am not even talking about the hybrid technology to combine analogue sound and digital patching - and top effects. You quickly forget you have only 6 voices (was my worries....)

So - I see Kemper being a little slow to react to market demands.

They did lead the market with the Virus - once....

EDIT: Don't get me wrong th Virus is a wonderful synth I woud never sell.

It's a shame - true. If we would at least get a "state of the art" software solution...

I just got myself a PolyBrute - the control software ist not free of bugs yet, but it is smashing.

Bi-directional control - no fiddeling about with upload/download/parameters - and it works standalone too - no DAW needed. And I must say - I am overwhelmed by it - it is not a replacement of my Virus - by no means!

It is Analog up to the patch field and of course the effect section, arp and seqencer - they are digital - a wonderful hybrid :)

I was hoping to get a new generation of the Virus - now it is a PolyBrute - sorry guys of Access/Kemper

Our of curiosity, which controller do you use?

Before I bought the Virus, I was using a Waldorf Blofeld, which as you may know, has only 7 knobs. It is a VERY deep synth, so programming it demands reliance on the “matrix” method of parameter entry, in addition to a certain amount of menu-diving. Someone does make a controller specifically for the Blofeld, but I never considered buying it.

For a time I thought about writing a mapping between my X Touch mixing control surface and the Blofeld, running on a BomeBox (a wonderful tool for computer-less MIDI mapping and translation). In the end, I decided that the Virus offered me more (including more knobs!) so I shelved the project.

It's the Bitstream 3x - second hand only as it is out of production for a while. (see the avatar picture)

If you need help, I have a custom template made and published here in the forum:

Bitstream 3x and Virus Ti - Parameter

And a PDF with the assigned function.

I use the Windows customizer for it, as a lot of programming is easier, but it can be done to a certain amount on the hardware too. All Sysex though needs to be done in the customizer.

It has even a motion recorder for any parameter, an own ARP, an own LFO, and an internal clock (if required). Plus a Crossfader and a ribbon control. All on 19"

32 knobs, 8 sliders, 8 assignable switches (toggle or switch), and a free running x-y knob (no centre spring) with an additional switch by pressing it down.

- and a "Full Metal" case :)

There is one video somewhere on the Tube showing somebody using it with a Virus - but I guess he was not very good in programming it.

If a Multi is used (MIDI Ch 1-8 e.g.) with up to 8 Parts, the template lets you adjust volume with the sliders and the ARP Patter, Swing, Note Length, and Octaves with the 32 knobs individually without going into the Parts.

For old synth it has a "Sync-24" (some call it DIN-Sync) too.

...I do not know where to stop :) - If you get bored, get a second Ti and hook it up to MIDI out 2 - you get a blow you'll never forget .....

It's a hidden gem.... not easy to program - but if done - you will never sell it again ;)

It is an absolutely wonderful instrument!

The Virus isn’t always “ice cold.” Depending on how you tweak the patch, it can be quite warm and analog sounding.

Keep posting! We’ll both save time and energy by learning tricks from each other.

...and even people (I have my Ti for many many years) like me are keep learning - possiblebilities and impossibilities - workflow wise I must say, could the next generation better. To my opinion, most things can be done. But the many submenues, to reach certain features (e.g. to split the filters to the individual OSCs) when I am in a flow, destroys my creativity sometimes...

I have now an aged, but highly customizable controller, to get even more out of this lovely machine.

I have a Virus C and when I want to see the notes of any arp pattern, I go to the system settings of the Virus and set ARP SEND on. Then hit record in your sequencer and it should record all the notes coming from the arp pattern. There's a few things you need to keep in mind when doing this though. If the MIDI output is going to the Virus at the same time it is playing the arp, you will create a loop, causing the Virus feedback or no sound at all. So make sure you don't set the MIDI output to the Virus. Once you've recorded successfully, you can open the MIDI event and check it out.

You can use the ARP SEND feature to send the arp pattern from the Virus to any other MIDI device. Just do as explained above, but set the ouput to any other MIDI device.

Just a mild correction, hardly known: Not all Parts of a Multi sends its ARP data.

I tripped over it while "recording" midi data from a multi. It drove me crazy. Access answer came quick.

-- Only odd numbers of Parts (1,3,5,7,9,etc) are sending their ARP data to the output!

So, next project keep in mind: e.g. all pads and leads to the even numbers.

(Ti desktop is what I use)

I just received my brand-new TI2 Desktop (I love it!).

Is there a reason to buy a few of these DSP chips as spare parts?

There seem to be a number of suppliers who provide these chips, such as:

https://www.micro-semiconducto…-Freescale/DSPB56367AG150

In Stock 5508 pcs Reference Price(In US Dollars)

• 1 pcs
      $8.312
    • 10 pcs
      $7.667
    • 300 pcs
      $6.245
    • 600 pcs
      $5.944

What kind of pricing is this.....sounds trustworthy :P

Yes - but no solutions.

Page166:

In earlier Virus models, Multi mode programs consisted of 16

Parts, each one referencing a Single program. The downside:

Multi programs depended on the location of all their refer-

enced Singles, so if you changed any program while working in

Single mode, Multi programs would change accordingly.

In the Virus TI however, each of the 16 Parts actually contains

the equivalent of a Single program. Parts also require a few

additional parameters (e.g. transposition, keyboard range)

which are all accessed via MULTI EDIT – hold down SHIFT and

press the master EDIT button to the left of the display. From

operating system revision 1.1 onwards, there is another 112

referencing Multi mode programs in order to supply you with

old and newfashion Multi mode program. The additional pro-

grams can be accessed on slot 17-127.

In simple words:

- Multi Part 1-16 are holding a NEW individual version of the selected Part - NO reference to the original single part.

- Multi Part 17-127 are holding references to the original Part.

Your problem comes possibily by loading the banks with new "sorted" voices.

e.g.: Multi Patch 17, part 1 is referencing to a sound called "Boom" in Bank RAM-A1, now, after reording the individual Single Parts, the Bank RAM-A1 holds the part "Bamm". Multi Patch 17 Part 1 is now referencing to "Bamm". This was, up until Ti, standard.

EDIT: just re-read your post - as you used Multi Part 1-16 only, I am a little puzzled.....is it a Ti or Ti2 or an older version A,B,C?

MIDI data overload is keeping the Ti busy. Nice (?) to observe if I "unlock" Control Change data and/or arp data from my Korg M3 of complex voices and push data by turning knobs and sliders.

I think the Virus is aging and cannot keep up with modern styles of high data flow - I know the M3 is "very special" if it comes to arpeggiator sounds (some people hate it :)

Do not misunderstand me, I still think, the Virus is something very special. I can do far more things with this in comparison to other synth. The multi layer functionality (multi timbral) with its up to 16 channel individual arpeggiators (...far too many or me...) becomes right now a huge trend, while the Virus is doing it for decades by now.

I never cared much about the "Input" of the Ti. Now I was curious to run sounds through the Virus to "fiddle" around with the Filters.

And I realied a faint destortion while hacking a few accords in "Static" Input Mode. As soon as I switched to "Dynamic", to get the benefit of the Ti envelopes, all is a mess - not just crackle, but a high destortion at some notes/'chords.

OK - first thought - "The input signal is too high..." But neither the lowering of the "input" signal of the Ti (Edit Config > Inputs 1/2 > Sensitivity) nor the output of the external signal could solve the issue.

Therefor, you are right: "After all this I got to the point where I've had to finally accept that my Virus is never going to work as reliably as I wish it would..."

I wonder if the Ti2 is having the same issue... at least it reads that they have implemented a better CPU.

If you‘re making use of all of your envelopes targeting e.g. the wavetable index, folding, fm and/or cutoff, while dialing in a decent amount of noise, it would eventually lead you to some space sounds after you apply some effects. You can also run LFOs in envelope mode and choose one of the many different wave shapes to get more complexity going.

To become more efficient just create a template with 2-3 slot pages sourcing envelopes with your 2 most useful targets while you keep the 3rd target to some effect parameter that you‘re planning to use. After you‘ve done that, you could time box your fx creation to 30 min. I would assume that if you once created a decent SciFi fx patch, any further ones will go very efficient.

For me it‘s usually all about preparation ?

Well said "all about preparation".

I've tried the envelopes on the LFOs - didn't like it :) So I've shortend the Amp Decay instead to avoid a repetition of the wave. But as said, I did not spend too much time in doing it.