Beiträge von nms

I'm really surprised that the Virus doesn't already have this feature especially with the number of extra waveforms to choose from. I suspect it'd be an easy addition. Can we have this guys? That would rock!

Here's a sample for you guys illustrating the differences between running the virus at 44 vs 48. Just a basic saw waveform but it proves an easily audible difference. If you want brighter sounds and more top end clarity and sizzle, you want the Virus generating at 48k internally! In order to make for perfect comparison on a level playing field the samples are seamlessly looped with levels matched and the 48k render is downsampled to 44k just as you would do if you are producing in 44.1khz natively.

First half is rendered at 44.1khz, second half is 48khz downsampled to 44.1k: http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/86783886/file.html **NOTE - Do NOT listen to it off the zippy player! Download it.

Sample Rate Conversion done by the best SRC I know of: Izotope 64bit SRC. If you do decide to run the virus at 48k make sure you use a top notch offline SRC to convert it to your project's sample rate. Letting the host do that on the fly is not the best way to go.

The Virus normally allows you to choose between running 44 or 48k internally but once you plug in the USB it goes on autopilot. The Virus will render at 44k internally if your audio interface is set at 44k or 88k. Likewise it will generate at 48k if your interface is running at either 48k or 96k. Those rates remain the same regardless of if you're using the analog or digital outputs.

The great thing about standalone mode is you get to choose to generate at 44 or 48k and it gets generated as such then sent out the analog outputs and recorded at whatever your project is running at, so you don't need to convert the sample rate.
    I wonder if Access will ever let us pick internal clock rates while USB is connected? Less aliasing is a known benefit to going above 44.1khz since more of the aliasing (high end non-harmonic digital dirt) is moved above the audible range.

I work at 88.2k.. which has a little less strain on my resources than 96k. So the only acceptible options I have currently that'll get the Virus generating at 48k are to unplug the usb and run the virus midi or else work at 96k and hammer my resources that much harder.. which I'm a bit leery about since 88.2k already maxes me out occasionally. I've thought about it though. Instead I just ordered a cakewalk UM-3G midi interface to try and when it comes time to record I'll have to just unplug from USB and use it standalone. I'm interested to do a midi loopback test and record the output anyways to see if the Virus can be bested as a midi interface.

Alright.. just a little clarification here for anyone who comes across this thread..
    If the Virus is connected to USB It overrides your ability to choose to generate 44 or 48khz sound from the synth engine and operates as follows:
    If your audio interface is set to 88.2khz Virus will generate at 44k internally and VC will upsample it to 88.2khz. Analog outputs will be 44k internally and upsampled to 192khz on its way to the analog audio out.
    If your audio interface is set to 96khz Virus will generate at 48k internally and VC will upsample it to 88.2khz. Analog outputs will be 48k internally and upsampled to 192khz on its way to the analog audio out.
    So this means the only way to get the virus engine feeding the analog output stage with a 48k signal is to run your project at 48k, 96k, or unplug the usb and run it midi allowing you to regain the ability to choose the sample rate in virus confg.
    Past that the only hope is if Access allows retaining the ability to choose clock rate while usb is connected in future OS.
    If you unplug usb and set your audio interface to 48k or higher and play high notes with the filters open especially and switch back and forth between 48k and 44k via config inthe virus you can hear the difference of each. It'll be more apparent in some cases than others and vary according to the amount of high frequency content or how much it's being obscured.
    There is some occasional dodginess running the usb output.. the slightly oscillating pitch tuning and other things once in a while as well that have not been known to occur when using it in standalone mode. So if you're going to make use of the analog outs it's worth experimenting with feeding the output with 44 vs 48k.

Interesting. I'll have to try that Gene. I've had a couple BSOD's which appeared to be triggered by Virus USB but my big issue is crashes when closing Ableton or opening a different track after working on a loaded project. I'm win 7 x64 as well running 4.1.1.05. I'm hoping & figuring that'll be improved when the release version of 4.5 finally comes out. I'll see if your fix helps any though meanwhile.

Bro, people that talk crap on a Virus for not being able to make pure analog tones are in my opinion the same people that might forget that when I rock a sold out party nobody in the audience cares because it is all about setting well in the mix. And yes you can make some amazing sounding analog sounds. Just use vintage 2 as your analog boost in your patch. As a matter of fact add that sub oscillator and ring modulator with the analog 4 pole filter and record it beside a moog. I have played plenty of Moogs, and they are badass. My point was that the if you only have 3000 dollars and you go buy a REAL synth and that synth is not a Virus TI, it will feel like the girl that got away. Omnisphere is a very good synth, but I feel like people buy software synths because they don't have the willpower to save up enough money to buy hardware and they talk up how sick it is to feel better about it. I use softsynths too, but they rarely cut it for me in terms of "the complete package".

I take that as a yes to not owning any of the best analog pieces ;)
    Between my Moog Voyager and my Juno 60, my virus gets used the least. You can pretend an audience doesn't care if something came from a virus or a moog.. but it's complete and total bollocks. That's because they are different and capable of making sounds the other can't. I can get huge thick sounds from my moog that I've never heard come from anything else and same goes for my juno 60. Different instruments excell at different things. My Ti would destroy my moog for Dubstep for example. If the crowd is going off to a track built around a huge lead that was characteristic of this or that synth then there's your difference and they're eating it up. Same goes for everyone listening to your tracks on their own time going "holy crap that sound is awesome!"

Nevertheless I love my Ti though and can't imagine getting rid of it. It's a powerhouse and capable of so much. To me it's the best in the Digital & Virtual Analog classes.

I'm well aware of the menu contents my man ;) The issue is that when you plug a usb into the virus you can no longer choose what clock rate you want it generating at. I found out how to get true 48k synthesis internally from it with usb connected though. I spoke with Jorg as well as ran tests at all freqs with usb vs analog out and will post the results soon. With a spec analyzer you can clearly see the frequency response difference and the difference in where the filtering happens in each.

You need to use the browser to put those sounds on one of the RAM banks in your snow. Whatever the browser shows listed in the RAM/ROM banks is what is on your snow. Or are you just trying to save groups of 16 part multi's?

It sounds like what you need is exactly a Virus, so why don't you get whatever bugs in your system worked out so you can use it. I don't ever have problems with dropouts and clicks or sync action (though I don't use my onboard arp so can't speak about sync action there). I have never once experienced the problem you mentioned about volume changes.. it's not normal behaviour so there must be something wrong which is likely user error or the way something is set. There is an option in the config menu to disable midi volume changes in case something there is causing problems.
    What computer do you use? OS? DAW? I don't suppose you use an add on pci usb card? What Virus OS are you running? Are you using the Virus as your audio interface?
    I use an i7 920 overclocked to 3.8ghz running windows 7x64, Live 8, no add on usb card, Virus OS 4.1.1.05, and I don't use the virus as my audio interface. Runs smoothly.

One thing I've found handy is using a vst oscilloscope as a visual reference when programming the Virus. I used this while creating a more "vintage analog" saw tooth waveform for example. I adjust the waveform shape as well as the filter, eq, & analog boost parameters to get the waveform looking like I wanted it to look and sounding how I wanted it to sound. You obv want to do this with fx disabled and only 1 osc playing so you can see the waveform clearly in full detail as you sculpt it. Once you've shaped it as close as you can get it save that patch for later use as a starting point. I saved mine as VintSaw.

Working on a basic waveform with 1 osc playing and no fx, an oscilloscope (with the view stabilized of course) can be valuable for learning more about synthesis and getting a visual reference for how different processing in the virus affects the waveform. Try it out with the different character settings or distortion or whatever you like.

Download s(M)exoscope here free if you don't already have it!
    http://bram.smartelectronix.com/plugins.php?id=4