Beiträge von nms

it's a bit hard to understand you.
    What do you mean by "record midi controllers via midi"? Can you be specific?
    you seem to be talking about recording the knob movements of the virus, since you haven't mentioned any other gear.
    Either that or you are talking about something else:
    I can record the knob movements of my moog voyager which runs midi into my virus which passes it along into Ableton via usb.

As the title says. I believe the virus has less audible aliasing at 48k than at 44. The analog outputs are resampled anyways to 192khz so why isn't the virus automatically generating at its highest sample rate to feed that output?
    Is it possible to alter the plugin so that you don't lose the option of setting the Virus to 48k when VC is running? Or at very least (this is probably simpler) can we first have it so that you can select 48k when using analog outs while the virus is connected via usb but VC not running?
    Any sort of workaround that would allow the virus to generate 48k internally while still being able to receive and send midi data. I doubt I'm the only one who uses the Ti as my main midi hub.
    Less aliasing & better sound is a good thing in these days of vst synths that oversample beautifully. I love the sound of synth squad's strobe when running oversampling. Some of the interface really bugs me though!

haha.. if you find yourself using up all 16 slots that VC allows you I'd say you're really getting your money's worth out of your TI! I'm going to guess you haven't been running into that though and suggest you just put diff patches in diff slots and forget about the nuisance of swaping patches via midi messages.

When you encounter this problem, do you still have use of the virus as a midi controller in your host? ie: are you getting a definite confirmation one way or another that you are not just losing sound but losing the entire USB connection?
    The virus doesn't seem to like breaking its connection when in a project. If I ever unplug the usb when a project is loaded it won't work after plugging it back in unless I restart my host.
    If you're losing your USB connection it could be a bad cable or problem with your usb ports. You could try a dedicated USB card.
    By the way, Marc, if you see this and are replying.. am I correct in that if the Virus loses connection with a project running the only way to get it back is to restart the host? It's what I've always had to do so figured as such, but if there's a trick I'd love to know!

Haha. Yes you could have added a few sentences to clarify but I think I understand what you're identifying. Are you using automatic delay compensation or have you shifted it manually?
    Delay compensation of VC will cause the analog outs to play early. No VC running means (as typical with hardware) it will play late so you have to offset the midi clip delay timing to play early.

Bump!

Any news regarding the use of buttons in remote mode?

And regarding the use of the master volume knob ?

Just use the Osc Volume knob as the volume control. That's what I did. I made a template to control my iO modded Jupiter 4! Full ADSR on amp & filter envelopes, soft knobs setup to control the LFO mod depth & rate... a beautiful thing!
    Here's some info from the VC manual:

//removed by admin, pasted html did mess with the forum// --> poster, please post plain text insidead

Zitat

either I have to tell the MIDI what patches to change to, or I'll have to manually change the patches.

if you're using VC it will automatically load all patches back where you left them when you open your project. I'd say enjoy your free lunch but you already paid for it when you bought the TI ;)

Thanks for the suggestion, nms. It might not be a bad route to take if I never need to change patches during a track - I'll have to see how things work out. Could be a good way to handle this though.

Marc, thank you for the information on the RAM - I think I'll be swapping those four banks a lot, now that I don't have to worry about that issue.

You can change patches all you want during a track. The only thing that will affect is that midi files from somewhere else that contain patch change info won't go changing patches for you.

You can also disable midi program changes in the virus which might be a better solution for you if you keep getting given midi files and don't want to have to edit them every time. I just let VC load up the correct patches for the project. Don't worry about the RAM. I don't know what the true number of times it can be written is but you're not going to exceed it!

Huge thanks for the detailed response Marc :)

the 192k are still beneficial because this way some filtering is being avoided.

^could you elaborate on this? I thought since it's a 44k source the filter would already be implemented at that level.
    Also.. when using the analog outs, would it not be preferrable to run the virus at 48khz so it's generating a 48khz source for better quality of sound / less aliasing for feeding the 192k output?
    I can go into the config menu and set audio clock to internal but as soon as the usb is connected it forces 'frequency sync to host' even without VC running, so to my knowledge even if I wanted to run the virus at 48k internally it won't allow me to if the usb is plugged in.. is this correct? I use my virus as my main midi hub in my studio so that would be a problem..

I'm on a mission to optimize my rig as best I can so I appreciate the tech info help! I wish I could generate 88.2k sound from the virus though.

Coming from a web design background where it's known that people are more likely to view the first page of a forum like this rather than click through the pages.. I'm curious why the forum has such a small number of topics per page. Something like 50 would be much more suitable I think and possibly stimulate more activity within the topics.

Ok.. so more than a few people swear the analog outs are a higher quality than the usb or spdif. I've heard the analog outs come from a 96khz source.. is this true? Whereas the digital options generate a source that is 48khz at highest? I'm talking about the source here. Are the analog outs are just a 44/48k source resampled to 96khz? Some definitive clarification on that would be golden!
    I record & work at 88.2khz.. so with that in mind, which of these 3 options would give me the best result:
    1. USB Audio source recorded to daw. Audio then routed out from daw via my D/A through my 1176 compressor then recorded back into my A/D. I'm doing this to print stereo files through my outboard one at a time. This method causes 2 conversions - D/A->A/D.
    2. Analog outs recorded to daw. Audio then routed out from daw via my D/A through my 1176 compressor then recorded back into my A/D. This method causes 4 conversions - D/A->A/D->D/A->A/D
    Furthermore, in option 1 if my project is running at 88.2khz.. what sample rate will VC tell the virus to send the audio at.. 44 or 48k? And in that case where does the SRC take place since I'm recording at 88.2k in my daw? Does VC handle the SRC to feed me the 88.2k audio stream which gets recorded?
    I'd really like to get some concrete info on this stuff so I know exactly what's going on. Very much appreciated :)

you need to edit your midi files within your daw and remove the bank/sub bank/program change info because the files your playing are loading that info.
    as for the rest.. are you not using VC in your project? because if you are then you have 16 slots to store patches for that project which will automatically be loaded up in whatever condition you left them last. Also.. you can make a blank bank for that track and store it on your computer and have it load from there each time just as easily. kind of handy if you want to store it in the folder with the project for safe keeping.

press shift + edit to take you to an output selection page and adjust the right soft knob to enable the analog outputs. You must be in multi mode for this to work though. You will also choose your patch from there with this method.

LOL! You can't get mad at Access for making a machine that has capabilities far beyond your reach as a beginner user. It's built to meet the needs of pros and if you want to get the most out of it you have to put in the time with it experimenting with the features and reading the manual when you don't understand something! The manuals give you enough info to get you going on whatever area you want to learn INCLUDING the mod matrix. The matrix is all about one thing modifying another thing in ways that you tell it to. There are a million possibilities there depending on what you choose to do with it and if you want to do cool things with it you have to experiment with it or know what it is you're trying to do.
    To search a specific subject in the manual (like mod matrix) just hit ctrl+F to search a term.