Beiträge von SOS

The best way to sequence individual Virus parts in Live is to use the "external instrument" plugin. However, as you've noticed, you are then forced to automate each Virus part on the track that the Virus is actually loaded in.

One workaround for this (although it's quite limited) is to assign midi numbers to the 3 soft knobs (i.e. 9, 12 etc.) and correspondingly in the matrix to the parameter you want to automate. You can also use the mod wheel and predesignated midi controls such as cc7 for volume.

One drawback to all this is that you can't automate clocked lfos in realtime (through assigning a control in the matrix), so you actually have to assign the clock setting with Live's "configure" button (meaning your automation is confined to the first track).

Hey Alexwhite,

Are you making sure to turn off the "live" button in Virus Control for playback? I find it's normal to get a little arp/lfo timing jitter here and there, but it usually adjusts (and stays that way) after a bit of use.

I'm also using Live 8 and Windows 7 (albeit 32 bit).

Sorry to hear that berni, although, at least you're comfortable with good old midi/audio.

I may be as well, but I really like programming in VC and would miss the ability to automate a clocked LFO (unless I'm missing something). I also don't have many spare audio channels on my soundcard so it would be 1 part at a time (for audio).

Anyways, I have read a TON of comments over the years about people giving up on VC and simply sticking with the hardware.

Anyone else having crackling, zipper noises? Please contribute.

Yeah I hear you Fringe. It's like all my free time is spent trying to get the Virus to work. Jorg, however, didn't tell me everything should be fine, but that he doesn't know if/when the issue can be fixed.

There have to be other people experiencing this.

Please check out the thread I posted in the feature requests forum about a patch editor.

Thanks for chiming in guys.

However, what I'm talking about is not a standalone editor. If you follow the link to the reKon site that I provided in my first post, you'll see that these products also run as vsts. I believe Moog just released something similar for the Little Phatty. Another example is midiquest, which can be found here:

http://www.squest.com/Windows/…stXL/MidiQuest-About.html

The difference between these interfaces and Virus Control is that they use good old fashioned midi to communicate control changes. As far as I can tell, Virus Control does something different in syncing the Virus that causes more timing issues and audio glitching than it's worth.

I have confirmed with Jorg from Access Music that glitching is indeed present when using Virus Control in instances where it isn't in stand alone. Right now, my Virus is pretty much unusable through Virus Control due to audio glitches and small zipper like effects.

Please check out the links I have provided so that you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks again!

Thanks for responding mitchiemasha!

The thing is, I'm having issues with single patches and no automation. I get crackling with many of the factory pad sounds when using only 4 notes.

At first I was worried that the problem was my Virus. However, since Jorg at Access Music confirmed crackling with my test patch (which is very resource intensive) on a TI2 and experienced similar results, I think the issue is Virus Control.

I don't, however, understand why more people aren't experiencing this, which again, leaves me with some doubts as to whether or not it's my system.

If you want to test it out, try sequencing some chords with the pad sound "chapel."

Oh and another thing to note is that the crackling is not as apparent when the filter is all the way open. Perhaps you hear it during automation because its presence is revealed more easily with the filter closed.

Okay, I am on my last straw with the Virus. I absolutely adore the Virus sound and really enjoy editing patches in Virus Control. However, Virus Control has some severe problems that prevent me and many other users from being able to use it as intended.

I have had a TI since 06, since OS 1 was supposed to be the solve all your problems release.I have continually read complaints about the integration part of the TI (which is, I assume, a big part of what we pay for). Just do a google search with the terms "Virus TI crackling," or "Virus TI integration problems," or "Virus TI sync issues" and you will be able to read through scores and perhaps hundreds of users having issues. Similarly, you can look at sonicstate.com on the synth site and compare the TI's ratings and comments to earlier Virus models.

I am not here flaming. As I said, I have been a user for almost 5 years. However, I have recently had some issues with no workarounds (other than using the Virus in standalone). My most recent issues have to do with audio crackling through VC. Access Music has confirmed this problem (which doesn't occur in stand alone) and basically said there's no solution at this time.

So, please, please, please make a patch editor version of Virus Control similar to reKon's editor for previous models of the Virus (found here: http://rekonaudio.com/index.ph…mid=29&vmcchk=1&Itemid=29).

I use this company's editor for the Waldorf Pulse and you know what, it's way more friendly than Virus Control. I'll tell you why, it doesn't try to handle sync and audio. Those things are handled by the synth itself. It runs as a vst using traditional midi to communicate with the synth.

I presume Access has VC handle sync so as to achieve "sample accurate playback." Well you know what, give me midi jitter!

Seriously, this has been requested since the inception of the TI series. Give us a patch editor version of VC!

Hey bratan,

This is a known issue. When I contacted Access support they responded with:

Zitat

Our engineers indeed already started addressing this issue in the latest beta, but it still can be that the issue is not solved on all Windows 7 systems. We're working on this and we hope we can present an OS update taking care of this pretty soon.

The only solution I've found is not deleting the Virus from a track...

About a month or so ago I posted a thread about crackling problems with my TI (when using Virus Control). I received very few responses, which I took to indicate that other users do not have the same types of problems.

However, I did some digging around the internet and found plenty of posts on other forums about the TI and crackling. In the meantime a couple of users on this board have also started threads about crackling issues.

At first, I suspected that the problem may be related to Windows 7 because I have had my Virus since 06 and not experienced crackling like this until recently. I also tried rolling back the drivers to OS 3 point-something, messing with buffers, bought a new usb card all to no avail.

I sent a patch to Access support along with an Ableton project file to see if my issues were reproducible. I would like to note that the patch that I sent utilizes many of the Virus' features that drain resources, and I selected this patch specifically because the crackling was totally reproducible. HOWEVER, it is essential to note that I have issues with MANY of the TI's presets sometimes relating to polyphony and other times (seemingly) not.

Jorg from Access music tested the Live set on a Mac and in Cubase and indeed confirmed crackling which he related to voice stealing. He also confirmed that there was no crackling when using the TI through traditional midi/audio outs with no Virus Control.

At this point, my Virus is largely unusable. I simply cannot get single patches into audio without crackling. Again, I am not simply talking about my hog of a patch, but many of the presets that used to be useable. I told Jorg as much and he replied:

Zitat

I forwarded both your Ableton Live session as well as your report in general to our R&D department. I'm sorry to say but things like that simply will take time to investigate and to address. I ask for your understanding.
    First our engineers need to find out what is causing this exactly and then they can try to address this.

I cannot offer you a solution for this at this point other than you trying to keep the amount of voices low if possible.

Well, as much as I appreciate Jorg's sympathetic tone (which I take to be sincere), keeping the voices "low" is not a viable solution because the crackling comes on single low bar, low polyphony patches. I often can't use a unison of 2 or the analog filter (with no effects) without glitching.

I do not think I have been offered a workable solution in keeping the voice count "low" and as far as I am concerned Virus Control is defective (at least for some users that fall within the recommended specs guidelines).

This is also compounded by the fact that Jorg has confirmed that Virus Control crashes Ableton in Windows 7.

So, what's going on? Access has confirmed reproducible glitching in Virus Control where there is none in stand alone.

So I ask again: Are other users having a problem with crackling audio. Please chime in, because if enough users are experiencing this, perhaps it will get fixed sooner...

Hey mclifton,

I don't think Access will be able to solve this one as it has to do with how Live handles delay compensation (there are a few threads over at the Ableton forum concerning Live's PDC).

One question though, did you turn off the "live" button on the Virus during playback?

I made a video back in November documenting this issue:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Hey Fringe,

It can't be coincidence that you and I are having similar problems.

I'm curious though, what DAW are you running? Have you tested the Virus through conventional midi or are you always using Virus Control? All of my crackling goes away when the Virus is used in a traditional manner (midi/ audio outs). I would be really curious to hear if you experience the same. Of course the TI is marketed for its integration, so it's definitely not a solution.

Also, do you use a TI 1 or 2?

I only had one user respond in the thread I posted about crackling and they were kind enough to test a patch out for me (as Jorg told me the crackling was likely due to voice stealing). They reported back with no problems, although they are running a Mac and a TI2. Nonetheless, I don't really think the crackling I'm experiencing is from voice stealing as it happens no matter how simple the patch, even for mono patches. I also watched a video on youtube the other day of a guy demonstrating polyphony limits with his Snow and while there was clear voice stealing, there was no crackling.

Hey Fringe,

They are not the same cards.

The first card I tried is this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/…rd-_-15-124-007-_-Product

The card I just got last week is this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/…rd-_-15-104-216-_-Product

Sounds like your crackles are exactly the same as mine (I have also described them as "vinyl" like). If you link to the youtube video I made for the other thread you can see the crackling frequency range on Live's analyzer (but probably not hear it due to video quality).

I am really close to giving up on the Virus. Yes, I could use it through midi but then you lose the ability to automate clocked LFOs, not to mention Virus Control. I am just really attached to the Virus sound. The closest I've found in the vst world is Uhe's Zebra, which is looking better everyday. I am going to work a little more with support though, to see if this can be ironed out.

Hey Fringe. I have tried using 2 different pci usb cards to get rid of the crackling, but with no luck. At first I thought it was the beta causing the problems, but I tried reverting as far back as 3.3 with no success. Still, I've had my Virus since '06 and never had crackling problems until pretty recently.

Are you running Windows 7? I have a feeling 7 must have something to do with it as I upgraded both my desktop and laptop over the last year (and was likely too busy in school to really notice the problem until now).

All of this to say, I don't think a new usb card will solve the crackling.

I have been in contact with Access and I am going to send them an Ableton Live set this week so that they can try and identify the issue. My fingers are crossed.

I have a thread about crackling problems here, if you're interested:

http://virus.info/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=2663

Sorry I didn't really address your question (make/model), I'm just wondering if we're having similar problems which I believe are unrelated to port issues.

Bump.

Still having issues here.

Is anyone from Access willing to chime in about Windows 7 and crackling, why my Virus doesn't say "synced to host," or willing to test my patch on a TI1? I want to get this fixed and haven't heard back from support since last week.

Thanks

Zitat

"synced to host" it shows when VC is instantiated.

Not on my system. That's why I'm asking. Most of the time when I use Virus Control it shows "auto" for the source but lets me change the sample rate. Is this normal?

Thanks

Okay, thanks Ruari.

I have tried unplugging all other usb devices to no avail. I also tried the usb pci car I have installed with no luck. I ordered another one last night just to be safe, but I have doubts that it will help. Now I need to figure out if it's my Virus, my computer, or the way Virus Control is running on Windows 7.

I don't think that you having a TI2 makes much difference as I am experiencing (seemingly random) problems with patches that never used to give me issue.

I am curious about this "synced to host" discrepancy though, as more often than not my Virus does not show this setting. ?(

Thanks again for taking the time to help out. :thumbup:

Yeah, Live's autofilter uses an LFO.

Hey watuse, simply go into the Virus' LFO menu and LFO 2 has pre-routed cutoff knobs for each filter. Just in case you're not familiar with how modulations work, make sure to keep an eye on your filter menu too as there is a balance knob between the 2 filters. If you're running in serial (the default setting), and you decide to modulate the cutoff (through an LFO) of only one of the filters, you may not hear the effect of the modulation as strongly as if you only let one of the filters through the mix. In other words, turn up the Filter 1 knob on LFO 2 and position the filter balance knob to the left to hear what it's doing.

Okay, just one more question until I hear anything back.

I have noticed in the config menu that my Virus (when using Virus Control) sometimes says "Auto" for the audio clock but still lest me select between sample rates and other times there is a black box under the frequency setting that says "synced to host." Is there perhaps a sync issue going on?