Moog + Virus Ti + Logic midi conflict set up question

• I recently acquired a couple of new midi hardware synths, a Moog and Mopho.

I have set them up as external instruments in Logic on midi channels 1 & 2 using their own individual ports.

The thing that seems to be happening is that program change messages and filter changes etc are being transmitted from the Moog to the Virus.

This would appear to be because if you create the Virus as a multi-timbral software instrument it has midi channels 1-16. So there is the Moog and the Virus both on midi channel 1.

Anyone know what I should be doing here please to avoid this conflict? It's been a decade since I had anything to do with external stuff and it feels like first day at school all over again!

Many thanks

cheers, Simon

• What i mean is, leave your Virus as it is... connection wise, and use a seperate midi out port from your PC/mac, something like a cheap USB to midi interface of Bay of E, then connect that to your other gear (Moog etc...) and select the midi output to the Moog in your DAW settings. That way you get independant control of Virus, and moog.. or anything you want. You are simply adding more ports, and adding 16 more channels that way.

Hope thats clearer?

;)

• Thank you for the reply.

Hmm, the Virus is on it's own physical USB connection/hub from the MBP.

The Moog and Mopho are on the other USB connection/hub.

Everything is USB connected for the Midi transmission so I'm talking virtual ports here in the environment.

As the Virus is a plug in, and not an external instrument, I don't think you can create a separate port for it.

I don't want to add any more physical ports as I feel there must be a way to set the Virus up on it's own port virtually to keep it separate.

cheers

• The thing that seems to be happening is that program change messages and filter changes etc are being transmitted from the Moog to the Virus.

Depending on what you intend to do with the MIDI out from the Moog there's a couple of options for you.

First of all I'd suggest going to the environment & in the click & ports layer create a new monitor object & drag a cable from the port that the Moog MIDI Out is connected to into it - this will create a dead end for the MIDI signals so they won't affect your Virus any more.

Then you might want to connect that monitor directly to your Moog track in the arrange window, you would do that by option-clicking the monitor out & selecting the correct track from the drop down. Now it won't matter what track you have selected in the arrange window the Moog will only transmit to it's own track.

• Depending on what you intend to do with the MIDI out from the Moog there's a couple of options for you.

First of all I'd suggest going to the environment & in the click & ports layer create a new monitor object & drag a cable from the port that the Moog MIDI Out is connected to into it - this will create a dead end for the MIDI signals so they won't affect your Virus any more.

Then you might want to connect that monitor directly to your Moog track in the arrange window, you would do that by option-clicking the monitor out & selecting the correct track from the drop down. Now it won't matter what track you have selected in the arrange window the Moog will only transmit to it's own track.

That's really helpful thank you.