Trying to use TI2 as both master MIDI and controller to another sound module

• My goal is to be able to play any MIDI channels from the Virus as a VST
    which currently works, AND be able to assign a specific MIDI channel to
    the DS-330 but still be able to play it from the Virus, essentially
    using the Virus on that particular track as a MIDI controller.

Gear:
    Mac Pro / Logic Pro X
    Steinberg UR22 audio interface
    Virus TI2 keyboard
    Boss DS-330 synth module

Current connections (no Boss DS-330)
    Virus USB -> Mac USB
    Virus MIDI OUT -> UR22 MIDI IN
    UR22 OUT 1/2 -> Monitors

Trying to add Boss DS-330 sound module:
    Virus MIDI THRU -> DS-330 MIDI IN
    DS-330 OUT 1/2 -> UR22 IN 1/2

Logic Pro X:
    Create Software instrument track
    Choose External Instrument as the instrument on the track
    Arm track by pressing R and it's red
    External Instrument dialog:
    MIDI Destination -> Steinberg UR22 Port 1
    MIDI Channel -> All
    Input -> 1-2
    Input volume -> 0db

Press keys on Virus and no MIDI activity registers on meters and no sound. Volumes are turned up on the UR22 for both Inputs, DAW, Output, etc.

Hopefully this is possible and someone can help me please?

Steve

• There is one important thing to know about the TI series: when it is connected using USB, it is not really a synth anymore, it is a soundcard + a synth module, the same way you have soundcards with effect modules nowadays. What it means is that you don't have to connect the Virus to the UR22, unless you want to create some port loop for a particular effect - as some people do when they get extra ports by using another sound card.
    So, what does the Virus give you as a soundcard?
    - The MIDI out port is available to the computer as "Virus TI MIDI out".
    - The MIDI in port is available to the computer as "Virus TI MIDI in".
    - The Keyboard and knobs are available to the computer as "Virus TI Synth in", unless you started VC, in which case the knobs are only available in remote mode.
    - The synth engine itself is available as "Virus TI Synth out", unless you started VC.
    - The audio in ports of the Virus can be replaced by audio sent from your computer.
    I never checkd the MIDI thru but I guess it blindly copies the MIDI in.

What I'd do with all this is use some kind of MIDI filtering on the MIDI tracks. Make the DS-330 track respond only to channel X, and all the other tracks to any channel but X. When you want to play the DS-330 change the current Virus part to X, and when you had enough change to a different part.

Hope this helps.

• My understanding is that you are using the Virus via VC within logic and wish to play the Boss D330 via the Virus?..

I suggest you connect the DS-330 midi in/out to the UR22 midi out/in. In logic, setup a midi track instrument whatever (I have Sonar so terminology is different)..the midi input of Omni (whatever midi input you have, ie virus keybed), and output destination being the UR22 midi port. This then gives you a dedicated midi drum track