Mono vs Stereo - Virus Rack XL

• Hi,

I got an old Virus Rack XL.

Is recording one of the stereo output the same thing than plugging only one jack and to record it ?

Is a mono Virus more easy to mix than a stereo one ?

What about your preferences ?

Thanks for your help :)

Cheers.

Charles.

• To be honest, I don't really understand the question. The Virus is a stereo synth, why would one want to record it in mono?

Sure, if you disable the stereo effects and pan everything to the middle, the left and right channels will carry the same signal. That's placing an artifical crutch on the synth though. I'd always run it in stereo and mix it that way.

• Whether a sound easily fits into the mix or not is completely independent of the sorce (Virus or any other synth) is stereo or mono.

It has more to do with the number, frequency range and complexity of all the elements in the mix. Having an understanding of the art of mixing helps to design (or adapt) all the sounds to fit together.

Putting a wide stereo chorus on a sub is a recipe for sonic disaster (aka phase cancellation), while it can make a mono pad sound fit perfectly „around“ everything else.

IMO, the Virus has a slightly dark sound and therefore is easy to mix anyway because there’s less clash of overtones in the high frequency range.

BTW, I personally prefer to use LCR panning for all mono sources which leaves a lot of space in the stereo field for the Virus synth sounds.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ozon ()

• "phase cancellation" often the major problem in perfect sound. Especially if synth and guitars are sharing the same frequences.....(sometimes but rarely the singers voice)

It can happen that you do not even hear every note of an instrument. Less is sometimes more!

Read: https://multitrackhq.com/phase-cancellation/