AUTOMATION IN ABLETON 8

• ableton live 8 and virus TI (old model)

Hi there,

I was trying to automate some functions in Live but in could only automate cutoff and filter.

Once in Live, in the plugin window, i can only add cutoff and resonance parameter by moving the knobs in the hardware, nothing happens if i move the parameters in the plugin window....What about the arp on/off or even the hold button?Can they be automated.

In conclusion i might need help about how to add parameter in Live to automate the Virus TI.

Hope to see some info from your department.

Best regards,

Roberto Barata

• Hey Robeto, I am also running Ableton Live 8 and automation is not working for me either. When I use the drop down menu in the arrangement view to check for automation options there is no data. When I press record on the transport bar to record knob movements on the hardware it will work SOMETIMES. It sometimes picks up my automation of the Filter 1 cutoff knob and then I can edit from there. But this does not help me because I want to automate Filter 2 cutoff and a bunch of other parameters on 3 different parts of my tune. This is so aggravating because the synth sounds great but I can not automate 4 parameters by hand at once to record my track! Worse than that, if I just wanted to shut down my program and restart to see if that is the problem , I will have to wait 20 minutes just for my synth to sync with virus control! So in order to work on some issues, I encounter more. This is really killing time when you have 2 days a week off to work on things.

• Ableton Live was (up to version 8.0.2) only able to handle 128 parameters at a time. Therefore, Virus Control allows you to map parameters to the automation. In the latest Live versions, the parameters of a plugin are hidden by default. To automate parameters, you need to take two steps now:

1) right-click on a parameter in the Virus Control window to add a parameter to the automation (please read the Virus Control manual)
    2) in ableton live, click on the little triangle in the plugin panel (which points down), now it will point to the right and a button "configure" appears (Read the Ableton Live manual for this)
    3) press configure, go to the Virus Control window and click on a parameter you want to automate (note, that you need to add it to the Virus Control Automation Map first, see step 1)

Unfortunately, this is a bit quirky, but can not be properly solved without breaking compatibility to songs from older Ableton Live songs.

-timo

• Hey Timo, thanks a bunch for your reply.
    I am not going to be able to try the above steps until the weekend, work sucks!
    Unfortunately, I have tried steps 2 ans 3 listed above and have had no luck with Virus Control. I will try again as soon as possible. I am hoping that applying the first step will do the trick. Thanks, I will let you know what happens.

• Just wanted to chime in and say the above method works. I tend to put Ableton in configure mode first then add the knob to automation, then mess with the knob.

I've found that I can even control things I don't think the Virus wants me to, such as synced LFO rates.

• Just wanted to chime in and say the above method works. I tend to put Ableton in configure mode first then add the knob to automation, then mess with the knob.

I've found that I can even control things I don't think the Virus wants me to, such as synced LFO rates.

Hey interpolate, I have not had a chance yet to try the above but whe you put Ableton in configure mode, you mean ,like Timo said, from the Virus control plug-in channel? I have tried that with other plug-ins in ableton and it always works but have had no luck with the Virus control yet. However, I have not tried applying what Timo said yet ( right-click on a parameter in the Virus Control window to add a parameter to the automation (please read the Virus Control manual). Thanks for your help.

• I've found that I can even control things I don't think the Virus wants me to, such as synced LFO rates.

you very certainly wouldn't be able to control things the virus doesn't want you to. but you can control synced LFO rates, even thought there is a number of people here who believe that it is not possible ;) - basically, everything feasible can be automated.

best, marc

• Hey Timo, thank you for your help, everything is working now, I was just not adding the parameter to the automation as you said to do in step 1. Thanks again!

• Hey, by the way, how is everyone able to quote previous posts in white boxes but when I used the quote link it never comes out that way? What am I not doing?

• Hey, by the way, how is everyone able to quote previous posts in white boxes but when I used the quote link it never comes out that way? What am I not doing?

When you post (or in your profile) you can find "Smileys / Settings / Attachments / Poll" at the bottom of the text input, click in "Settings" and check "Enable BBCode in this message".

-timo

• When you post (or in your profile) you can find "Smileys / Settings / Attachments / Poll" at the bottom of the text input, click in "Settings" and check "Enable BBCode in this message".

-timo

Hey Timo, thanks a bunch for that tip, It really helps when sending and reading the questions/answers in the post, all the best

• It seems like a lot of hassle to have to set up each perimeter up every time. Is there a way to set every thing up once? Maybe set up a template. Why isn't every thing already ready to go straight out of the box?

• I've never had problems with automation of cutoff, resonanz and so on in Ableton 8, but I have problems with automation of controller like (filter) amount in LFO section! For example, if you want to control OSC01-tune by LFO03, the amount knob can not be added in automation in Ti control. So, is there any possibility for using those parameters for automation? Thank you for any helpful advices!

• I've never had problems with automation of cutoff, resonanz and so on in Ableton 8, but I have problems with automation of controller like (filter) amount in LFO section! For example, if you want to control OSC01-tune by LFO03, the amount knob can not be added in automation in Ti control. So, is there any possibility for using those parameters for automation? Thank you for any helpful advices!

if you cannot right click on the parameter and add it to automation, this certain parameter cannot be automated. you seem to attempt to automate parameters which define the depth of something happening (LFO -> Filter, LFO -> Osc tuning). try to use the mod matrix instead, those "Slot X Amount" destinations are your friend. i know that this is not necessarily the same but it should do as a workaround for what you're eventually trying to achieve sonically.

best, marc

• It seems like a lot of hassle to have to set up each perimeter up every time. Is there a way to set every thing up once? Maybe set up a template. Why isn't every thing already ready to go straight out of the box?

I'm not talking about posting.
    Im talking about setting up automation.

I want to be able to start automating immediately without essentially having to set up a midi map every time.

• but you can control synced LFO rates, even thought there is a number of people here who believe that it is not possible ;) - basically, everything feasible can be automated.

Marc you say again there was no problem with Clock LFO automation,
    So why is there a fix if it was always working?

Zitat

HI: LFO clock divider can be automated in every host.