Setup guide for Access virus and Cubase 8.5

• Hi folks,

just getting back into my studio and synths again and never got very far last time with the recording part of it. The technology drives me mad even though I'm an IT tech for a living.

I'm still running cubase 8.5 which I appreciate is out of date but nonetheless cost me a chunk of money so I guess I should use it, plus it'll be easier to use VC I figure than with my MPC Live 2.

I've not idea how to use Cubase but I do recall that there were some really useful videos / tutorials on this subject but I can't find them now - probably because 8.5 is so out of date but also can't remember whether they were created by Access or Steinberg (the tutorials that is).

Clearly I need to get started from the beginning yet again.

Can anybody point me in the right direction ?

I have googled but all I get is the tutorials on the latest Cubase version which no doubt won't run ono my older 5.1 Mojave mac.

Cheers.

Rob.

Access Virus TI2 | Access Virus DarkStar | Access Virus Polar (White) | Komplete Kontrol S61 | Roland A-800 PRO | Casio CDP-120 | Arturia MiniBrute | MPK Mini | MPC Live 2 | Maschine mk2 | Mac Pro 12 core | Cubase Pro 8.5 | Komplete 10 Ultimate | Saffire Pro 24 | 8 channel ADAT | KRK Rokit 5 Monitors | KNS-6400 Cans | Faith Naked Venus | Gretsch G5421 | Tanglewood TSE-605 | SE Magneto Mics | Blackstar Amplification

• Cubase didn’t change too much over the years, but 8.5 is a bit dated indeed. There probably haven’t been a lot of tutorial videos around back when it was released.

However, before we try to dive into that, what version of the MPC software are you running on macOS? Maybe Cubase is not necessary.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• AFAIR, there’s a tutorial on how to set up the Virus TI with Cubase published by Access Music. Should be somewhere on Youtube…

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• …couldn’t find it, unfortunately. But there’s a lot tutorials on all aspects of the Virus TI.

Anyway, before hopping into bed, a short guide:

- open Cubase

- create new Project

- create Instrument track and insert the Access Virus Control plugin

- plugin will load and connect to the Virus (but I don’t know how it selects to which device if several are available)

- set input of Instrument track to Virus synth

- activate MIDI input for the track (small button with speaker icon)

You should now be able to play notes on the TI keyboard which are routed through the VC plugin back to the Virus, and you should be able to hear the sound of the TI through the Cubase master channel.

All OTTOMH sitting on the sofa not in front of my Mac…

PS: the proper way to do it, would be not to use an Instrument track but to add the Virus Control plugin to the Rack and add MIDI tracks which are routed to that Rack instrument.

• I just checked: MPC2 allows to use VST and AU plugins.

Unfortunately I can neither test this nor walk you through a MPC2 or Cubase setup, because I'm not on macOS 10.14 Mojave anymore and therefore had to uninstall the Access Virus software. Maybe I can get it running on my old MacBook Pro.

Edit:

I completely erased my old MacBook Pro after moving the the Mac mini. It's currently on macOS 10.15. It would be a couple of hours of work to reinstall 10.14 and get all relevant music software up and running. Sorry, but I can't do that.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ozon ()

• You've been more than helpful as usual Oli.

"What version of the MPC software are you running on macOS?"

I'm not - the whole point of the MPC was that I didn't' have to use Cubase and fire up my Mac, monitors, ADAT, Saffire Pro etc. - it was completely independent of the computer but yet again that seems to have gone out of the window and here I am - struggling with studio technology just to be able to use my equipment :( .

So long story short I'm back at Cubase 8.5 with no idea how to set it up with 2 x virus' and a Minibrute (I remember setting up buses or something in the past) ?

"All the Gear, No idea" - Sums me up perfectly.

Maschine went out of the window due to the MPC, plus getting it to work with Cubase was a headache as I remember. "Do you want to run is as a VST" ? Eh ?...

I ended up writing just in Maschine and never used Cubase. Hence never learnt it.

I could use your steer, Oli as a man of experience.

Given my setup... Maschine Mk 2, MPC live 2, Cubase 8.5, 2 x Virus' and a Minibrute (and NI Komplete 10 umtimate) - I figure I'm missing out on all those beautiful sounds that I have at my fingertips in Komplete too.

I'm guessing the best way to go would be to learn and use Cubase, Maschine for my drums and Komplete for any Orchestral textures that I would like.

Problem is that I just don't know how to pull it all together which is where the MPC scored major points - everything in one box!

I'd really appreciate your wisdom on what you would do, and where to start again - basically as a beginner. It's been a long time...

Access Virus TI2 | Access Virus DarkStar | Access Virus Polar (White) | Komplete Kontrol S61 | Roland A-800 PRO | Casio CDP-120 | Arturia MiniBrute | MPK Mini | MPC Live 2 | Maschine mk2 | Mac Pro 12 core | Cubase Pro 8.5 | Komplete 10 Ultimate | Saffire Pro 24 | 8 channel ADAT | KRK Rokit 5 Monitors | KNS-6400 Cans | Faith Naked Venus | Gretsch G5421 | Tanglewood TSE-605 | SE Magneto Mics | Blackstar Amplification

• Ok, ok, I slowly get the picture. So you're really just using the MPC live, not the MPC2 desktop application at all.

In the mean time, I set up my old MacBook Pro with 10.14.6 Mojave. That has been quite the journey... Apple makes it really not easy to install a deprected macOS on a deprecated machine. After about an hour of digging around on the support pages, I found out that I already had made a bootable stick to install Mojave or Catalina about two years ago. Totally forgotten about that. That made it easier all of a sudden and about 30 Minutes later, my MBP was running on Mojave.

Just finished installing the Virus Software. Also had totally forgotten that the installer requires the Virus to be hooked up to the computer, and that it forces a Virus OS update. Which takes ages. Like another 30 Minutes. And the progress bar didn't move one pixel all that time, so I was a bit worried I had just bricked my Darkstar.

Now all I'm missing is a Cubase installation. Gotta dig around to find that one. Haha.

Ok, even found the 8.5 installer on my NAS! Only problem I had was with the eLicenser that was installed, because it didn't work anymore. Downloading and installing the most current one worked.

• PS: the proper way to do it, would be not to use an Instrument track but to add the Virus Control plugin to the Rack and add MIDI tracks which are routed to that Rack instrument.

You mean add it as a rack instrument ?

• In the mean time... I made two videos...

Create a new project in Cubase 8.5 and set up Virus Control plugin... now I have to find a way to upload it...

• Providing a video turns out to be a bit more difficult than though. And this nice forum editor does not allow me to remove the wrong attachments... :(

Gonna try to put them on YT... give me another 15 minutes to figure that one out again... :D

• You're my personal hero Oli.

To put you in the picture so far.

Device Setup first and foremost:

I've renamed the Ports show as names for simplicity and the necessary ports are showing as active.

MIDI ports is a bit strange:

All MIDI INs show as Active, but MIDI OUTs all show as Inactive for some reason ? - Is this normal ?

Also not sure whether I actually need TI2 MIDI and DS MIDI 'Visible' as I think the TI carries itself over the MIDI Synth channel - can you confirm ?

I remember configuring Buses within CB

I've configured Input Buses for my TI2, Darkstar, MiniBrute and Vocals.

Output Buses configured for output to my Monitors (KRK Rokits) and also to my MPC LIve (Smaller speakers which I like to run sometimes).

I think I have this right so far ?

• Here are the videos on YouTube:

Setup Cubase project for Virus TI:

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Remove unnecessary Virus TI plugins from Cubase:

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

BTW, I did literally nothing else than installing the software on a fresh OS and what you see in the video. No other setups were required.

• Ok, you are a bit further than I though. My initial intent was only to provide you the Virus Editor and Librarian you already have by using the Access Virus Control plugin from any VST host (in your case: Cubase 8.5).

Now we're looking at a full studio setup ^^

If you are working within Cubase and are using the Virus Control plugin to control your Virus synths, then you don't need audio connections since the Virus TI means that the sound is transferred digitally via USB into Cubase and can there be recorded right from the Plugin into an audio track. However, there are different ways to achieve this, and some prefer to just use the VC plugin as editor and use the conventional MIDI and audio to work within Cubase (or other DAW).

Regarding your questions:

- MIDI Ports for the Virus: Synth is the synth itself, MIDI are the DIN MIDI ports at the backside of the synths

- The MIDI outputs are also inactive in my setup (don't know what that means, never thought about it)

- I think the Virus MIDI ports are actually irrelevant when working with the VC plugin which seems to establish a direct connection to the Virus

• Thanks again Oli.

I too LOVE my virus' (both) - hence I bought a Darkstar to compliment the TI2 - It's an obsession.

I absolutely HAVE to master this stuff and your assistance has been invaluable.

Not sure how I can pay you back for what you've done for me ?

That aside - I've both connected to the Mac and am only seeing one virus.

Maybe 2 x TI's is too much Cubase to handle ?

P.S. - I got the TI working as a VST - thank you.

Guess there's a long way to go yet...

• Just trying to give the world something back...

Cubase should be able to handle as many Virus as you have. What do you mean by seeing only one Virus, the MIDI connections for both are already showing in your screenshots. But AFAIK, you need a dedicated Virus Control instance for each.

Tip: Maybe try to master this setup with just one Virus first. And then add another level of complexity. Your initial goal of transferring sounds from the Darkstar to the Keyboard should be possible with just connecting one at a time.

• For recording the Virus (if you don't want to stress the Render in Place function of Cubase) you need to set up an additional Group Track as follows:

- Virus TI Out 1 send output to Group Track ("Virus Recorder")

- Group Track ("Virus Recorder") send output to main

- Audio Track set input to "Virus Recorder"

• Yes - good advice that I shall follow.

Just FYI: What I mean is both virus are connected and seen in MIDI setup as you say, but I only see one VIrus TI in Rack instruments.

I expected I would see both.

Given that both my Virus' have different soundsets in them then at some point I'll need to be able to add them both as Rack instruments and control them independently but as you say - I'm trying to run way before I can walk.

• One instance of Virus Control connects to one Virus synth hardware. I have never tried that, but I would expect that you have to add another instance of the Virus Control plugin in the Cubase Rack and then there must be some way to distinguish/select the hardware to which it should correspond.

• *Deleted*

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von rhbmcse ()

• OK - I have to feed the family now, Oli...

We need to get back to the original subject of how I manage the patches now that I have the TI plugin working on the Darkstar.

I'll be back online later - appreciate you may have disappeared by then but at least we've got somewhere.

If you could leave any instructions on how to manage the patches that would be great.

Once again - thanks you so much for your invaluable help.

Rob.