OS4: Problems in Logic 9

• Hi everyone,

generally, my transition to OS4 has gone well. However, there is a massive problem under Logic 9 (.02 and .1): Whenever I leave the track with the Virus plug-in to select, play and record another track, the Virus' playback is all messed up. There's just extreme (!) noise, crackle and granular-like effects, as if the whole syncing went awry. As soon as I stop and select the track with the plug-in, it plays back fine. But to play or record other tracks, I have to start playback when on the Virus track and then move the cursor to the desired track.

Needless to say that I can't work like that!

Anybody else with these problems? Or with a solution?

Best regards,

Christian

P.S.: The Virus is not my audio interface. I did NOT change anything at all in my setup, just uploaded the new OS, and that's the result - quite frustrating, I must say... There's always something... :S

Here are two examples: The first with the Virus track selected, the second with another track selected.

http://www.bonsai-multimedia.de/mp3/NoHorribleNoise.mp3
    http://www.bonsai-multimedia.de/mp3/HorribleNoise.mp3

• Yes, it has been the very same since day one of OS4 with every single project I loaded. First I thought it was due to older projects being loaded in Logic 9.1 instead of 9.02. But the reason for the crackling in these project was simply that I had saved them without the Virus track being selected. R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S !

I have an incredible lot of USB devices! But as I said:

- it worked nicely before OS4
    - nothing else has changed, except for OS4 and the newest EuCon OS for my MC Mix

Actually, the whole day, nothing has worked here! Every single time I opened Logic, I lost all my MIDI Outs. MIDI In worked, but all output ports were greyed out, and no hardware synth could be triggered within Logic!

This whole shit really annoys me! I just can't work! RME fuck it up with their SnowLeo drivers, and every single driver for the TI since 3.2 has caused problems. And every time a new version is out, I hope I can get to work. But I can't. If this goes on much longer, I hook up my stupid AMT-8 again and go for classic MIDI and Audio-In.

SIGH.

Best regards,

Christian

• is the problem gone when you remove the "incredible lot of USB devices"? i mean, just for a test, not permanently. on my setup (which doesn't crackle btw) it makes no audible difference if the TI is the highlighted track in arrange or not. i know it makes a difference to logic though. could you please post a screenshot of your preferences>audio tab?

cheers,

marc

• Os4 and Logic 9.1 working better than OS3 versions for me. 2x virus control with a Polar 1 and a Desktop 1 was problematic before os4 and is running nicely now.

RME had a recent driver upgrade (Fireface 800 for me) which has lessened the frequency of the 'Initialising Core Audio' hang but still get it sometimes, definitely better though.

A Virus reset (Arp edit with no cables for 30 secs then power on and hold for 20 secs) along with a P-Ram reset and Disk Permissions repair have cleared lots of intermittent issues for me, tried all?

Also lots of USB issues with early 2008 Mac Pro 8 core, what machine are you using? Mine stopped communicating with Ti on longer than 2 meter USB and after 2 new logic boards I can still only use a three meter high quality cable... Many reports of USB issues with the same model.

Good luck!

spanda

• Cheers for the heads-up!

There are news:

- I went back to Virus OS 3.3.0
    - The problem did NOT go away!
    - I disconnected all USB devices except for mouse and keyboard. Nothing changed.
    - I loaded the projects with Logic 9.0.2 - NO PROBLEM!

Under 9.1, several songs crashed or hung horribly, e.g. before or after a bounce, it was simply unusable! Now, under Logic 9.0.2, none of these problems occured, especially not the crackling.
    But so many people are very happy with 9.1, and I'd like to use it too. So what can I do? At the moment, even OS 3.3.0 doesn't help any more although I never had this specific problem before.

One other problems however could be reproduced as long as I used OS4:

- In the recent project, I use two Parts of the Virus for two different RAM sounds. However, the plug-in always forgot one of them: One was correct after a reload, the other wasn't. It wasn't possible to save the setup and recreate it with the next start. So I always have to look for the correct patch in part 1 or 2 and double click it so it is loaded. This does NOT happen in OS 3.3.0.

Best regards,

Christian

• Yup, here we go again:

Just upgraded to OS4 again, and the problem occurs again: The project was saved with two parts from RAM-C. Under OS 3.3.0, the project is loaded with these two sounds.

Upgraded to OS4, and the first part is NOT the sound I saved the plug-in with, but RAM A-0 (HyprNochBC). That's really a bummer, guys! As such, the plug-in is useless to me...

Bug?

BTW: Logic 9.1: crackles appear again, and MIDI Out ports disappear. Doesn't happen with Logic 9.0.2, though.

Best regards,

Christian

• And another bug in that area: When I want to replace the stupid RAM A-0 with the originally saved RAM C-3 (my own patch), I open the plug-in, select part 1, choose RAM C contents and double click on RAM C-3. The patch is loaded correctly, so the plug-in shows part 1 with the correct patch name. In the TI's display however, it reads RAM A-3 instead of RAM C-3. But on RAM A-3 there's supposed to be a totally different patch with a different name. I zapped through the parts, but as soon as I return to part 1, it reads RAM A-3, so it's not a temporary display problem.

But it goes on: I select RAM A bank in the plug-in browser. RAM A-3 is "Trib@lGruv". I double click it, it is loaded into part 1, and the display reads "RAM C-3". RAM B-3 in the browser gives me RAM C-3 in the display again. RAM C-3 now gives me RAM B-3 while before it gave me RAM A-3 (see above)... WTF???

Any ideas how I can work around this thing? I'm gonna try another reset... again... tomorrow...

Best regards,

Christian

• christian,
    i think it is about time that you discuss this with support and let them help you out. don't you see that there seems to be a fundamental communication problem? your sounds don't recall, copies don't take place. also, you get crackling and "granular effects" - both indications of problems with transporting information from virus control to the virus (or the other way) as well.
    i cannot see a difference in performance here testing with logic 9.0.2 or logic 9.1 (both running in 32 bit mode). and since you primary problems persisted when you downgraded to virus ti OS 3.3.x i'd assume that this is not a problem with our public beta - i'll move this thread to the problems section where it belongs.
    marc

• Hi Marc,

thanks for the administration. I will ask support, but I also think it's in my interest (and yours) to see if there are more people with the same problems.

Of course, I don't understand the details of audio streaming and stuff. But logically, this can't be too much of a communication problem:

- The crackling issues only happen in Logic 9.1, NOT in 9.02. They happen with OS 3.3 and OS4
    - The browser issues only happen in OS4, not in OS 3.3 (9.1 and 9.02 are the same here).
    - When the Virus plug-in is not loaded, and I check the patches simply on the display, the correct patches are in the correct banks and numbers. So, there's no permanent change of RAM positions when I double click them in the browser.

During all my tests, I used the very same USB cable (the one that worked for almost a year with earlier OS and Logic versions). It's always on the same port (exclusively) and has to endure the very same neighbors (USB hubs and devices on other ports).

So much for clarification (I hope). Let the support team deal with it.

Best regards,

Christian