(Not) another virus vs. VST thread

• Hey guys,

So all over the web are debates and beyond about the virus vs plugins like sylenth, massive, kore2, the list goes on. I happened upon this thread:

Virus TI Vs. VST's

In which an amateur synth enthusiast posted a simple question regarding the virus and soft synths and got some very heated, rude in my opinion, answers that were uncalled for, disappointing, and just plain childish.

So let me, a very enthusiastic but novice synth user, ask this question (and hopefully get civil, adult-quality answers)

I opened up Logic and made two tracks, one with my TI2, one with sylenth. I set both to init and started plinking away on my midi controller and immediately noticed that the oscillators of sylenth SMASH the oscillators of the TI2 (and I AM running the ti2 through the analogue outs, not USB). I read somewhere that simply focusing on the oscillator sound of a synth is missing the "big picture," and that the virus still has the edge on plug ins, which I am completely open to believing, but I think I need a little convincing from some experts being that the first impression of the sounds of the two would lead me to believe that the soft synths are at least as good as the TI2.

One of my personal mottos and beliefs is that tools are tools and the artist is the artists blah blah blah, whatever ^^ But the way I see it, if it is possible to get GREAT VA sounds out of some computer programs, perhaps the better investment might be something like a DSI prophet or alesis andromeda to get the REAL analogue sound. (then drop in the U-he effects or something like that to add some flavor)

I don't really have a defined question to ask anyone, but I would like to hear the opinions of those who are very familiar with both the virus and the VSTs. Specifically anything that the virus could do that is out of reach of the VSTs (or vice versa?).

• A "hardware vs software synths" thread and you're surprised it got flamed? You must be very green... so to save you some frustration, these are the questions you must never ask online:
    1. What is better: hardware or software synths?
    2. Which is better: Mac or PC?
    3. What is the best TB-303 software emulation?

Why? Because many people feel quite strongly about the gear they use and they have to rationalize their choice and purchase to themselves, usually in any way possible. Hence why many people will defend their gear to death, even when they have zero arguments.
    Got it? Okay. ;)
    Now that we have that out of the way, on to the thread topic...

The deceivingly simple answer to your question is: It's just down to taste and experience.
    There is no better or worse sound. Hence the topic is kind of pointless. Like painters arguing about which color is the best...
    Also, there is no single synth that does everything well. Hardware and software included.

Getting into this topic any further would result in an essay/rant, so I'm gonna stop here.
    My advice: Use your ears and forget what others tell you. The best synth is the one you like, know how to use and get good results from; no matter if it's hardware or software, free or expensive.

And as far as the Ti is concerned, after extensively using VSTi's for 10 years, I bought the Ti a few years ago and it instantly became my #1 "go to" synth. I learned it inside out and can now make any sound I need from it. I still use some VST's for flavor, especially FM/digital VSTi's, but most of the sounds are from the Ti.

And finally... do you know anyone who would rather have sylenth than a Virus Ti?
    Didn't think so. ;)

DAW: Cubase 7.5 (x86/x64)
    CPU: Intel i7 930 @ 4.0GHz
    MB: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    RAM: 3x 2GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 1GB DDR5
    HDD: Intel 320 120GB SSD, 2x Seagate 320GB (raid0)
    Sound: E-mu 1212M
    Monitoring: Dynaudio BM6A Mk2 + BM9S Sub
    DSP: UAD-2 Duo
    USB: Virus Ti, BCF2000, Novation Remote SL...

• For example, while I really like how well programmed is Sylenth1 (especially the oscs) I prefer the character of the Virus' oscillators, a bit darker but it works for me for most sounds. Not to mention that I also prefer my bright uQ oscillators above most other synths'. Then you go asking "what the Virus does more than software or vice versa" - I read you have a Virus TI. It does so much more than the simple analog emulation done by Lennar D's plugin - if you're missing on this, I think you've bought the wrong instrument. Against the first Virus, maybe the comparison would be more appropriate; with the TI you have, you can do whatever S1 does and much more. So, it has that advantage.
    Aside from the obvious "runs standalone", "has an interface you don't need to map with other hardware not designed on purpose" and the usual stuff. Reaktor ensembles for example can probably do more than the Virus, feature-wise. It doesn't work for me - I find it a hassle to work with it, and very uninspiring. I don't like the general tone. U-He's modular probably can do more than the Virus - again, while I like the sound better than Reaktor, the interface makes me lose interest, and I already have most of the sounds I want with a couple or three digital hardware synths like the Virus.

This thread, imho, comes down to your personal likes and dislikes - provided that the sound quality of latest plugins is comparable to hardware synths, you'll have to find what suits you better. I find no happiness in most software, although I like how many of them sound - they don't fit my needs.

Last comment: if you think that DSI's latest stuff is "the real analog", you'd better go play with one. They sound like really good digital synths. No instability, no subtle variatons (there's even software parameters for those things, which says a lot). They're really good, but they don't feel like analogues.
    The A6 can be both things, provided you find one in good shape for a decent price. They're discontinued and were always hard to repair due to custom chips and poor service quality from ex-Alesis/AKAI/Numark. Then you'll need to know how not to make it sound like utter crap, which is what many people do overdriving everything...

Find your sound. If you don't like, or make the most out of the Virus, sell it.

• I didn't mean what can SYLENTH in particular do that the Ti2 cant, I just meant the whole world of vsts. I am just someone who does NOT have the professional ear/experience with these devices and I want to hear the opinions of some who do have the experience who hopefully wont freak out in the process 8o8o . Good job guys. :D

Also, now that you have mentioned DSI, let me ask you this:

I've been making my eyes bleed from constant research about analogue synths. :cursing: While everyone says the A6 blows the prophet away, I just can't seem to justify dropping a small fortune on something that is DEFINITELY going to be used, MIGHT not be reliable, and DEFINITELY wont have support. People talk about the studio electronics omega 8 like it is the god of poly analogue, but it is a 5,000 dollar god, so I definitely can't make that happen for a while. Are there any other poly analogue synths out there (currently being made) that can compete that I am missing? Something that I can buy new for a price that wont involve selling my kidneys/ (night) services? ;)

Also, I ordered my TI2 as a package with a mopho, and have to admit that the mopho sounds pretty awesome...but that is coming from someone who has heard no other analogue synth in his life. 8)

• They sound awesome. It's just that they don't sound like what people wanted analogue synths to sound. Both the A6 and the Omega blow the P'08 away for depth and "analogueness"; do you need them? probably not. Do you like how they sound? That's up to you. Again, find what's the best for you ;) I talked about Sylenth1 in the comparison because that's one plugin that sounds really good. Might as well be Albino 3 or Largo, they're more capable than S1 and they sound really good. They're still different from the Virus (and Largo is probably a bit different from its hw counterpart) and what you need to find is if their sound and features are better to your ear and for your workflow. Anything else is useless speculation, or in other words, "bullshit".