HELP! Understanding Access Software (on my Mac)

• Hello, I'm a long time synth not but new to the softsynth world. I have a PolarTi that I love and I have a 24" iMac with intel processor. I don't have any recording software expect Garage Band 08' (version 4.1.2). I'm good with computers but I can't figure out how to hook my Virus up so I can get at the patch library and tweak the knobs on the screen. I have used the USB to drive some garage band sounds and do some minimal recording using garage band sounds (basicly using the virus as a USB controller) But I have not been able to get into the Access Software. Can anyone help? Does the software only work if you have one of the BIG NAME recording programs? Does it only work as a plug in to bigger programs or can I use the Access software as a stand along program for making new sounds and orgainizing my library? Please help.

• I don't know if you would be able to use any AU's in garageband - I've never used it, check in the manual if you can use them.

If not you should be able to get a simple AU host if you do a search for one, I wouldn't be able to recommend one for you as I've never had to use one.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful :S

• So what you're saying is I can't use the Virus software unless I have an AU? What's an AU?

I know this must seem really basic but... I have the latest software upgrade. I have used the Virus control Center to back up my Virus and update the firmware. Beyond that I obviously want to get into the filters and stuff on the computer. Are you saying I can't use that part of the software without an AU? What is an AU?

• So what you're saying is I can't use the Virus software unless I have an AU? What's an AU?

I know this must seem really basic but... I have the latest software upgrade. I have used the Virus control Center to back up my Virus and update the firmware. Beyond that I obviously want to get into the filters and stuff on the computer. Are you saying I can't use that part of the software without an AU? What is an AU?

AU is Audio Units. Do a search on it via google for more info.

http://www.thegaragedoor.com/tutorials/audiounits.html

Anyway, you can use your PolarTI with garageband. Tried it just now with the TI Desktop.

In Garageband..Create a new instruments. Then on your bottom right of the garageband page, you will see an ( i ) icon. Click on Details. Click on the instrument generator and look for VirusTI. To see the plugin, click on the pencil icon next to manual word.

Btw, i'm not a garageband user much and my main DAW is Logic Pro. You may need to find out how to do automation etc in garageband with the Virus TI to record your tweaks etc.

Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 28GB Ram, 4 TB Hard Drive, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, 7GB Ram, 2 TB Hard Drive
    Logic Pro X 10.2, OSX Yosemite, Motu Ultralite,
    Access Virus TI Desktop [5.1.3.00]

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von davidgary73 ()

• OMG, it's working. I can't believe it. Thank you so much for your help. I've been a musician for over 25 years, programed my DX7, Ensoniq ESQ1 sequencing, D50, Korg M1, Sampled on screen using a Roland S550, etc. For some reason I've never caught up to the latest soft synth, plug in, and apparently AU's of the industry. Can't wait to dive into this. Thanks for getting me over that huge mental disconnect ;)

• If you managed to get your head round the DX7 then you should have no problem with the Virus, it's really quite straightforward compared to certain synths of old.

Enjoy it :thumbup:

• As you surmised, to get full control of your Virus from your Mac, you need a DAW or other host that can load plugins. Fortunately, GarageBand does support instrument plugins.

Create a new software instrument track in your GarageBand project. This should display the Track Info window on the side to select the instrument. By default, it shows you sampled instruments included with GarageBand. However, at the bottom of the window is a triangle to expand down "Details". After expanding the Details, you should see a selection for "Instrument Generator". From there, you should see the Virus listed in the bottom section of the pick list in the category labeled "Audio Unit Modules". Clicking on the little "pencil" button to the right after selecting the Virus should bring up the plugin's control window where you can select patches and tweak them.

GarageBand is still restrictive, however. You will only be able to have one part in your project that uses the Virus. If you want to use multiple parts, you will really need to look into purchasing a more professional DAW package that supports MIDI routing.

(Disclaimer: I don't personally use GarageBand, so am basing this on the old GarageBand '08 that came with my laptop. Things may be different in newer versions of it.)