Virus Ti and iMac 27"

• Hi guys,

I have the late 2009 iMac and the Virus Ti2.
    I have been having some problems with chosing the right usb port for ghe Virus.
    My system is as follows;

iMac 27" Core i7 2.8ghz 8gb ram
    osx Lion (latest)
    Virus Ti2 61 Note
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP
    Cubase 6

There are 2 internal USB hubs

Hub1:
    elicenser
    BRCM2046 Hub -- Bluetooth USB Host Controller
    Internal Memory Card Reader

Hub2:
    Built-In iSight
    IR Receiver
    Virus Ti

If I connect the Virus to USB hub1, I get a USB conflict error and playback of Virus is out of the question due to sample distortion and artefacts. I have the Virus connected to Hub2 and it seems to work ok but i am a little worried that the iSight/IR Receiver may interfere with the Virus.
    Its a bit of a disappointment that there are only 4 USBs on the iMac and they share a hub with other hardware that you cant disable.
    (not that im aware of)
    Has anyone got any information on the subject as id like to end this nightmare and have my DaW working perfectly.

Help much appreciated.

Chris

• Mine is connected to the same hub as the IR Receiver & Built in iSight, it says in one of the set-up guides (I think) that this is ok & it seems to work fine for me.

I'm using the USB port closest to the edge of the iMac for the Virus & any other USB devices are connected via a hub connected into the USB port furthest away from that.

I'm still on Mac OS 10.6.8 though, I've got no need to go Lion just yet - I'm waiting to see what happens when/if the new Logic arrives.

• Cheers guys,

I ran that script for iSight and selected Disable. It still seems to be in system Profilfer under USB. Will it stay there?

Chris

• Firstly, regarding the iSight, you still see it in the profiler because it is still connected, power is supplied to it and its drivers were not removed, but the script made sure that it would not be hogging the USB bus for any large data transfers.

Regarding the hub issue, you must remember that it is not a load issue per se. The problem is the USB1.1 to USB2 translation. Do you remember the slow truck lane analogy from the installation guide? The buttom line is that the Virus must be the ONLY USB1.x device on any hub, and there is more then one way to achieve this, and working it out on paper is the best way, like this diagram, taken from MSDN (and is originaly used to describe some completely different problem):

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i.msdn.microsoft.com/dynimg/IC534770.png]

You'll see that you can connect "everything else" to the hub and the Virus to a port on the computer (since a USB2 hub is a USB2 device in itself), or connect the Virus alone to the hub. There is an advantage to the first method, since the longer the "cable distance" between the Virus and the computer, the slower the response you'll get from it.

I must say that I'm impressed with how detailed your thread message is and the fact that you take the time to read through the forum. Many users can take your example.

• Thanks for this useful post FlabberBob, and also thanks for appreciating my pain lol
    From what I have read, the USB slot closest to the side of the iMac seems to be the one I need to use. (far right / Hub1)
    Ive bought the recommended 2.0 USB hub that people has mentioned on here (including marc) so that I can connect other USB devices to this and connect that to the USB on the left. (hub2)

The other annoying problem is that, the Virus will not stay in "Synced to Host" mode in the Audio Clock.
    It keeps changing to Frequency select. The only way I can get it to Sync to Host is to factory restore the Virus :0/

The Virus somehow doesn't like Frequency mode as it freezes and crashes Virus Control when I open a 48KHZ project..

Any ideas on this Bob?

Chris

• The users shouldn't have to take any examples. None of this should really be required. My opinion is that access has given USB their best shot, and hopefully future virus models will have thunderbolt (or firewire) support, and that thunderbolt will truly deliver superior plug and play performance for the virus without any of the hassle and problem. Even if PC users will have to invest in a card..

• The Virus somehow doesn't like Frequency mode as it freezes and crashes Virus Control when I open a 48KHZ project..

let me just point out that this is not the case here. in my opinion, you have a problem which cannot be solved by juggling USB ports around. if you haven't already you should contact support and send them a crash log.
    best, marc

• I don't think the sample rate problem is to do with USB.

The Virus will work fine if I perform a factory reset. The Frequency is then set to Synced To Host.
    If I turn the Virus of (by putting into sleep mode) and then back on, it then changes to Frequency Select.
    Even if I select 48KHZ, and also make sure the Project in Cubase is 48KHZ. It still crashes.

Chris

• Hi,

I know posts like this don't help much - but it does confirm that things can work. I have a Korg M3 and Virus TI2 both connected via USB on my iMac (first and second USB ports nearest the stand) and, using Logic Pro, I have had no issues since the last Virus AU update. I always hit the "Live" button when working with the Virus otherwise I get a noticeable lag.

regards,

Kieron.

• I have live enabled when I play my MIDI controller or record MIDI data from it. The quicker response helps me play better, while I don't mind some pops and crackles. When I render MIDI to audio I disable live mode, because then, flawless playback is of essence. If you input notes straight into a MIDI editor, I guess you don't need live mode.