How do I use Side Chain Compression in LOGIC with Virus?

• I'm trying to side chain compress only 1 patch of my virus plugin but since I can only open one instance of virus within logic, it seems that all the channel strips (the 16 that I can make) of virus seemed to be glued/connected together via that one instance of the virus plug in. When I try to compress only one patch out of the 16 patches of the virus plug in, Logic compresses all my patches. My question is, how do I isolate the patches and compress only one patch/channel strip of virus? or add any other FX plugins for that matter?

• Two things I would suggest reading:

• In the 'Tutorials' directory under /Applications/Access Music/Virus TI/ you will find a directory named 'Apple Logic' and inside there, a PDF. Read over that, especially paying close attention to the 'Recording and playback' and 'Mixing and Routing' sections.
    • This thread and the linked videos are also helpful in understanding how routing works when using the Virus within Logic: http://www.logicprohelp.com/fo…topic.php?p=367263#367263

In short, if you only want to apply plugins to a specific timbre within Logic, you need to route that audio to use a separate output from the general Virus output. I had started doing that, but what I've settled on as my process at this point is to get things just as I like them within the Virus, pre-plugins. Then I bounce the track to audio, mute the original MIDI part (but leave it in place so I can re-use it later if I want), and apply my plugins on the audio channel. Frees up processing power on the Virus, and allows much easier control and automation of plugins. Plus working with rendered audio is really easy within Logic, and more reliable then trying to depend on hardware to play a bunch of parts at once. Then if I want to make changes to a previously bounced segment, I just unmute it and re-bounce.

Don't know if that'll be the best workflow for you, but it's the one I've settled on so far (in my thus far very short time living with the Virus!)

• is it true i can only input 3 FX parameters? and yeah i agree with you on the bouncing into audio. do you find compressing the audio file to be better or compressing the midi file? (in terms of sound quality)

• is it true i can only input 3 FX parameters?

Can you please be more clear? Input were? Parameters of what FX?

do you find compressing the audio file to be better or compressing the midi file? (in terms of sound quality)

There's no such thing as compressing the sound of a MIDI file. The difference is compressing a live audio feed (which the synthesizer gives in response to MIDI data), and compressing an offline recorded audio data (in an audio file). The computer can do the latter more efficiently resulting in less clicks and sync losses.

• oops thats what i meant FB. my mistake :X. and i read somewhere on a forum that once you do what you mentioned above, you can only input 3 plug-ins from the logic side of the mix. I'm trying to look for the forum where i read it but no avail!. i'll keep looking.

• oops thats what i meant FB. my mistake :X. and i read somewhere on a forum that once you do what you mentioned above, you can only input 3 plug-ins from the logic side of the mix. I'm trying to look for the forum where i read it but no avail!. i'll keep looking.

If you mean you can only choose three plugins on an audio channel strip in Logic, then no, that's not true - you can use as many as your CPU will allow you to use. Logic places no limitation on the number of plugins you can use on a single channel strip (well, I'm sure there's some kind of very high internal limitation.. but in practical terms, there are no limits).