Huge CPU spiked when recording a single channel.

• Hello. Using Logic 9.1.7 with audio being routed from the VC input to and audio channel via a bus, I get huge CPU spikes when recording from the Virus playing live.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

• Is the TI used as the audio interface and at what audio buffer size are you operating Logic in its "audio"/"devices" preferences menu? Also is Logic set to "all" in the "audio"/"general" preferences window for the delay compensation?

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

• @ Flabberbob: I don't think that's the issue as I'm getting crackle and dropouts when the CPU meter goes into the red.

@ Jörg: The TI2 is not being used as an interface, an Apogee Duet is, I had it at 128, dropped to 256 which seemed to make no difference. Yes Logic is set to 'all' in delay compensation.

Thank you both for the replies.

Best Regards,

Isris

• Is this the case even in a new and empty Logic project or just the one you're currently on and have you done a test with using the TI as the audio driver in Logic to see if you run into the exact same issue?

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

• I've tried this Jörg, in a fresh project with the Access recommended method of setting up a multi-channel instrument in Logic, routing the audio via a bus to an audio channel to record in the typical Logic fashion. I have tried this both with the Virus as the soundcard and the Duet as the soundcard and sadly the problem remains, huge CPU usage and audio distortion. I also tried Live mode and non-Live mode to see if that helped.

However...

I have noticed that the CPU is lower when Logic is recording at 44.1 rather than 88.2. However, the CPU is still far higher than a normal recording procedure with any other incoming source. It is within non distorting bounds upon initial testing but I prefer working in 88.2 and I would hope that the Virus wouldn't impede this.

Best, and thank you for your continued support.

• Hello Jörg.

This was whilst simply playing the synth with a midi keyboard (via the host computer, not plugged directly into the Virus) and recording the sound into an audio track in Logic.

I have found that not only does the CPU go up hugely whilst recording, but it also does so when simply playing midi data that is in a region within Logic. This is one midi channel playing one patch of the Virus in an otherwise blank project with no other plugins or software synths running, simply a virus multi-instrument.

• Hello Marc, thank you for your reply.

Regarding performance, I have a two year old but high spec Mac Pro with 6gb of memory so I doubt that would be the issue, not directly anyway. The Virus is in it's own USB port, although I have heard on the Apple Grapevine that there can be issues with connections because whilst they may not share the same physical port, they may be handled by the same data stream and so create a bottleneck.

The USB is fairly easy to test for so I will, can you suggest any other tests to rule out or prove any other possibilities?

Best regards,

Isris.